Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewmell
Not applicable
Views: 2,045
Message 1 of 7

R61 downgrading to XP

Hi,

I got and R61i recently.  It came with Windows Vista preloaded, but I was also given some downgrade CDs for Windows XP.  Despite having gone for a 2 gig upgrade, I found Vista annoying and slow so decided to switch to XP.  I used the CDs to downgrade and everything seems to have gone fine with one exception.  The computer no longer believes that it has a wireless adaptor.  This isn't a driver problem, it doesn't even recognise that there is any hardware to install a driver for!  The wireless was working fine on Vista.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

thanks,

Andy

andyP
Not applicable
Views: 2,024
Message 2 of 7

Re: R61 downgrading to XP

Andy, welcome to the forum,

sounds strange, so here come some questions to hopefully help troubleshoot;

When you press the Fn+F5 key combination, are you able to turn wireless on?

Do you see a wireless card under Network devices in Device Manager?

Have you checked the wireless hardware switch on the front (left I think) edge of your R61i is turned on?

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

andrewmell
Not applicable
Views: 2,005
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  To answer your questions in order:

• Pressing Fn F5 doesn't allow me to turn on the wireless.  It only allows me to turn Bluetooth off and on.
  • There is no wireless network card shown under the device manager.
  • I have checked the wireless hardware switch on the front and all wireless has been enabled throughout.

To sum up, since I installed XP, it is almost like the wireless card isn't there.

Am in the process of re-installing Vista to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Andy

andrewmell
Not applicable
Views: 1,944
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

A quick update.  I installed Vista and at first I had the same problem.  Then I went into the machine's bios and selected:

• Config
    • Network

At the bottom of this menu, there was an option for "Wireless LAN Radio frequency".  There was nothing selected next to this.  I selected it and the two options were "on" and "off".  I selected "on". 

When I next booted up, Vista installed first a network controller, and then the wireless network card.  I then installed XP again, and the wireless card stopped working again.  I went back into the BIOS as before, and again there was nothing selected under "Wireless LAN Radio frequency".  I turned this to "on" again.  When XP rebooted It found a "Network Controller" but cannot find any drivers for it.  I've tried looking for drivers, but have been unable to find any.

Can anyone help?

thanks,

Andy

andyP
Not applicable
Views: 1,922
Message 5 of 7

Which R61 do you have? If you post your Type and Model Number members will hopefully be able to point you at the correct driver. Do NOT post your s/n.

Alternatively you can find the drivers here after seeing which card you have by entering your MTM on this site

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

andrewmell
Not applicable
Views: 1,885
Message 6 of 7

Thanks,  It is an R61i 8943-DSG
andyP
Not applicable
Views: 1,883
Message 7 of 7

This should be the correct driver taken from this site

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors