Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chalk7232
What's DOS?
Views: 1,874
Message 1 of 9

R61i Hard Drive Password

I am unable to type in the password because the laptop keyboard, and the wireless keyboard do not type in characters.  Also, the keys "beep".  In addition the 'delete', 'pageup', 'pagedown', 'home', 'insert', 'end' keys beep, and several others.  I have tried using the Fn key to change functions for these keys and although I can press the function key and then the other key that "beeps" still beeps, except the pause/break.  Then I get a response from the keyboard without a "beep".  I can use all keyboard characters where I don't need to use the shift key for the characters access.

my password has one character key in it, and since I can't type characters I cannot complete the password.

The sign that comes up when asking for the password is 1, cylinder, lock

after three tries getting the x I get a hand with link through it.

Can I fix the keyboard issue without having to log in?

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,869
Message 2 of 9

Re: R61i Hard Drive Password

chalk7232, welcome to the forum,

If I understand what you describe correctly; you need to replace your keyboard, or enter BIOS and change your hard drive password to one that doesn't have a character in it in the same way that you set the password originally.

Have you tried entering the password leaving out the character?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

chalk7232
What's DOS?
Views: 1,867
Message 3 of 9

My wireless keyboard does the same thing.  Does that make a difference?

How would I enter my bios if I can't enter the hard drive password?

Yes I have tried entering the password without the character and it reads as the wrong password.

Thank you very much for the questions.

If I replace the keyboard in the laptop, do I need to replace all, or some parts?

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,865
Message 4 of 9

The wireless keyboard may not be fully recognised at the BIOS level. If you can't change your hd password in BIOS using the internal keyboard, which I presume you used in the first place to set the password,  then it must have some sort of fault.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

chalk7232
What's DOS?
Views: 1,846
Message 5 of 9

I have tried to obtain help from service, but didn't realize I needed a warranty until they had searched for one.  The service person said he thought the problem would be more a software issue which in any case would put me out of luck.

Would you suggest to me how I might go about finding out if this is a software, or hardware issue without ordering a new keyboard, and then finding out the issue was in the software.

I would really appreciate your knowledge and opinion on this issue

Pamela, Lenovo Park 89322-9W, operating system Win XP with SP2

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,843
Message 6 of 9

Just out of interest, have you tried entering the password using the internal keyboard without the external keyboard attached?

I can't believe that the problem is a software problem as it occurs at the BIOS level. Try reseating the keyboard connector, instructions can be found here.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

chalk7232
What's DOS?
Views: 1,834
Message 7 of 9

I used the information from your link and took the keyboard out ant re-set the keyboard cable.

After putting back together, I have the same problem.

Do you have a next step suggestion?

Pamela, Lenovo Part 89233, Win XP S2

chalk7232
What's DOS?
Views: 1,832
Message 8 of 9

FYI - the character keys don't work for the bios entry.  My recent stress level caused me to disconnect on the password I should be using, and was using the pw for Windows instead of the password for the hard drive.

When I looked up from my password register I had the incorrect one for the hard drive.

used the correct one that does not have any characters in it, and "I'M IN".

then used the one with the character in windows, and again NO keyboard problem

Thank you for taking me seriously and trying to help.  I'm sorry for the brain teaser that didn't have a solution.

AGAIN - the Bios does not accept "character keys"

Pamela,

Highlighted
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,828
Message 9 of 9

@chalk7232 wrote:

Thank you for taking me seriously and trying to help.  I'm sorry for the brain teaser that didn't have a solution.

Glad you finally got it sorted Smiley Happy and thanks for sharing what worked for you.

I've marked your post as the solution, as it is the solution in this case, who knows? maybe someone else will benefit from it.

edit; typo

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors