Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonOver
Paper Tape
Views: 706
Message 1 of 3

R61i reinstall issues

Recently wanted to refresh my system.  Had a backup/restore disk which I created from the rescue and recovery software upon purchase.  Here is where I may have messed up.  I assumed the disk I had would completely carry me through process to format and reinstall operating system, drivers, etc to system.  This is the option I chose however I believe I only have a restore disk.  Now it seems to be hung up and I cant do anything.  When I try to do a complete new install using Windows XP disk system tells me that a hard disk drive can not be found.  When I try to do a restore through the rescue and recovery software that the system boots into, it finds nothing to use.  I have run diagnostic on hard drive and everything passes.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 697
Message 2 of 3

Re: R61i reinstall issues

if you got the XP installation discs, and install from that you will need to change the hdd mode from ACHI to compatibility, so that the BIOS will load the Hdd sata driver for the XP installation to work.

While, the correct discs you needed are the Recovery media, which you could create from thinkvantage software. During bootup if you press the blue thinkvantage button, does anything come up? 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dlbayne
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 3 of 3

Re: R61i reinstall issues

I had the same problem. I had to use the IBM recovery disks to create the bootable OS. Problem is that my third party recovery program added to all the unwanted setups, programs and features that came with the IBM recovery disks (7 years old). If I do not find a better solution, I will try creating another partition via Disk Management, restore my current recovery disks to that partition and make that partition bootable. (My new hard drive has more space than I need.)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors