Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdeal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,920
Message 1 of 4

R61i wont boot OS until I strike a key

Have a Thinkpad R61i 7650-8du with current BIOS.

I clean installed Vista (32bit) and its been flawless. However, from a cold start, the Thinkpad screen flashes and stops there unless I strike a key after which Vista will proceed with loading.

This does not occur on restarts (ie Vista orb -- restart).

I did some rule-out troubleshooting and found that if I unplug my USB hub (with printer & wired mouse attached), Vista will load automatically with no key strike required.

So I thought it must be a boot order issue.  I have tried modifying the boot order -- both placing the dvd drive and hard drive 1st and 2nd; and also excluding everything except the cd/dvd drive and the hard drive. In either case, it still needs a key strike to load vista from a cold start.

I even "disabled" USB support in the BIOS setup...still happens.

I suppose this isnt the worst issue I could face, however, I find it annoying to power-on and then have to strike a key to load my OS.

What am I missing?

RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 1,916
Message 2 of 4

Re: R61i wont boot OS until I strike a key

Have you waited like 30-60 seconds, and will it boot then?
Don't know if it's the same in Vista as in XP, but once you are up and running, see if you have a file c:\boot.ini.
In there is a timeout=xx. If you set that xx to 0 the waiting should hopefully be gone.
Normally this should not happen as by default you should have only 1 OS, where this timeout is then not applied.
wdeal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,901
Message 3 of 4

Hey RBS

Thanks for your response.  I recall the boot.ini file in XP.  However I believe that it is no more in Vista.  There is a boot timeout setting in msconfig (looks like 30 secs is the default).

However, even waiting 2 minutes, it just waits on the Thinkpad screen, unless I press a key.

I did lower the boot timeout setting in msconfig, but it had no effect.

Also,  it boots normally (short flash of Thinkpad screen, then immediate load of Vista) when I remove my USB peripherals.  That just screams "boot order issue."  However I have removed everything from BIOS boot menu except my DVD drive and hard drive -- even ordering the hard drive first -- no effect.

Its as though its waiting to boot from the USB peripherals and will only move on to boot Vista from the hard drive if I strike a key.  Again, without those USB items plugged in, startup is just perfect.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,890
Message 4 of 4

How about disable booting from USB devices?

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors