Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MuhammadFarooq1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,606
Message 1 of 4

Random Wifi drops, have to reset wifi adapter everytime

I am currently using a Thinkpad L440.

For about a year and a half now, I have been having random Wifi drops on my laptop. The wifi will suddenly stop working and my browser will prompt me to run Windows Diagnostics. Windows Diagnostics will detect the problem and reset my wifi adapter which fixes the problem. Then the same problem occurs after some time. I tried updating all the drivers, as well as the BIOS. I also tried removing the wifi apapter driver through Device Manager and reinstalling but this did not solve the isse. In fact, the wifi seems slower after doing this.

As a note, whenever I run a scan using LSC, under WIreless > Local Connection Test, I get a warning sign. This has been consistent for about as long as the problem has been occuring. 

Model: L440

BIOS: J4ET91WW(1.91)

Wifi Adapter: 2x2 11bgn Wireless LAN M.2 Adapter

Appreciate any advice.

Guru
Views: 2,589
Message 2 of 4

Re: Random Wifi drops, have to reset wifi adapter everytime

I've found, that Windows sometimes disables working modules to save power. Go to Device Manager -> Network Adapters, find your WLAN adapter and go to Power Management tab. Check if Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is enabled. If yes, then disable it.

------
MuhammadFarooq1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,565
Message 3 of 4

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem. The same a problem occured after disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

AndytoWood
Paper Tape
Views: 1,412
Message 4 of 4

I am having the same issue. Model is a Y7000P, payed a fair amount for this laptop and really love it except for this issue. I think my issue is identical to yours, when connected to wifi, it will be working smoothly with no issue, and will randomly disconnect after some amount of time (the wireless bars will show the yellow excalamation mark). If I then click on my Wifi information, and attempt to reconnect to the network or any network, it will try for a while and then eventually say cannot connect. If I keep watching, and don't do anything, eventually the wifi will be disabled completely for a moment, and the wifi logo in the system tray will turn to the LAN connection logo (similar to if you have uninstalled any wireless network adapter and only have LAN adapters installed). After a few seconds, the wifi logo will reappear and if I try to connect it will work. Something is clearly causing an issue where the Wifi adapter needs to restart itself.

I seriously hope it is not hardware and I end up having to replace this unit. I have tried fixes like manually updating the Realtek 8822BE wireless lan driver, as well as the Realtek PCiE GbE family controller in device manager. This appears to sometimes fix the issue for a while, but eventually it seems to return (perhaps a few days later). I have also uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it through scanning for hardware changes, as well as trying to install drivers from the Lenovo site. When I try to install other supported Wifi drivers (intel and Qualcomm) listed on the Lenovo support site for the laptop, I will run the source executible in the folder that was installed after I ran the general execultibe from lenovo (which says it is for all 3 Intel, Qualcomm, and Realtek) and it will open command prompt then do nothing. Intel and Qualcomm WLAN networks do not appear in my device manager. My bios is also the most up to date (9VCN15WW). 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors