cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UsE2RoCk
Punch Card
Views: 612
Message 1 of 10

Refurbished or Clearance (more bangs for bucks)

Good morning all!

Looking at a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad R500 that has been upgraded to Windows 7 for approximately $200+ range. If I may ask, does the Recovery DVD bring it back to the Manufacturer's Default Setting of the Lenovo ThinkPad R500?

I am presently using a  Lenovo ThinkPad R51e Laptop running on Windows XP Professional. Over the years I haven't had any major problems with Lenovo IBM laptops. With the exception that my R51e is running on outdated software and this laptop does not have the sound quality of other Lenovo IBM laptops I gave owned.  However, since XP is no longer supported I am somewhat confused as to which direction I should go.

With the knowledge of computers in this forum, should I be looking at a series of models that are more up to date with its technology? Therefore I am seeking answers from someone such as yourself.

Would the Lenovo ThinkPad R500 along with the upgrades of 4 GB of memory and a recovery DVD carry the load of the different softwares. Or should I seek an IBM laptop that is offered in Clearance  

I am somewhat on a budget and trying to find a computer that I'll get the most bangs for my bucks.

Thank in advance for your input you may provide.
Sincerely,
K~
Guru
Views: 597
Message 2 of 10

Re: Refurbished or Clearance (more bangs for bucks)

Generally speaking, R500 is a fine machine. Knowing the exact specs of the one that you're considering would help us guide you better.

Upgrade to W7 must be an aftermarket one, since R500 was not originally offered with that OS. With that said, it will run it perfectly well when properly configured.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
UsE2RoCk
Punch Card
Views: 586
Message 3 of 10

Thanks George for the fast reply. The Think pad R500 has sold so I am in search for a Lenovo IBM ThinkPad that will have the Windows 7 Home 32 or 64 Bit with a 160 hard drive pre-installed at a price within my budget. Kind of curios as to what Windows 9 featured programs will have .  As always, if any of you have input in my quest in finding a possible laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition 32 or 64 Bit I would greatly appreciate your help.

chuckk48
Broadband 3G
Views: 564
Message 4 of 10

For your information, the R500 did ship with a Windows 7 professional preload in September of 2009. I know because I bought one then, and still use it daily (2714-CTO). In fact, I was able to purchase a set of DVD recovery disks for  Windows 7 professional 64 bit, directly from Lenovo, about 2 years after buying the original machine.  

2 ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7/10. ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win 7. ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win Vista. ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7. ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win 7
Guru
Views: 557
Message 5 of 10

@chuckk48 wrote:

For your information, the R500 did ship with a Windows 7 professional preload in September of 2009. I know because I bought one then, and still use it daily (2714-CTO). In fact, I was able to purchase a set of DVD recovery disks for  Windows 7 professional 64 bit, directly from Lenovo, about 2 years after buying the original machine.  

Interesting. I stand corrected, then.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
UsE2RoCk
Punch Card
Views: 553
Message 6 of 10

Good Morning,

I was having problems locating the R500 laptop that has all the recovery disks and the Windows 7.physical disk, after finding a refurbished R500 and my inquiries he then pulled his listings, 

I an now thinking about installing Windows 7 Home Edition with the 32-Bit on top of my Lenovo IBM R51e that has Windows XP Professional preloaded but not sure which version I should purchase.

I ran the  Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, report was my Lenovo IBM R51e Refurbished Laptop showed that it was compatible and ready to install Windows 7 on my system

Installing the Windows 7 32-bit would save me a lot of money, as I am looking forward to buying a new laptop directly from Lenovo IBM with Windows 9.

After researching the upgrade to Windows 7 which would be within the cost range to invest on my present OS.

I am needing some help as to which version would be the correct and cost efficient for the Lenovo IBM R51e running on Windows XP.

Your advise and input would be greatly appreciated!

chuckk48
Broadband 3G
Views: 528
Message 7 of 10

R500's should not be that expensive. Last month I purchased a used one with a T9600 CPU (2.8 GHz) with Windows 7 professional installed for under $200 to replace one of my older XP machines. T500's with similar specs are widely available in my area at the same price. 

I would be patient and keep looking. Prices are falling as the machines get older and more of them come off corporate 5 year leases.

2 ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7/10. ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win 7. ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win Vista. ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7. ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win 7
UsE2RoCk
Punch Card
Views: 516
Message 8 of 10

Thanks chuckk48 for giving me the incentive to continue my pursuit in locating an IBM laptop that has Windows 7 installed on it. I have no complaints of my R51e I have, except that it is no longer XP supported.

Which raises my question of installing Windows 7 onto it.  I am really looking forward to purchasing a new laptop from Lenovo IBM with Windows 9.

Do you have any information as to the software needed for an Lenovo IBM R51e Laptop to install Windows 7 Home 32-Bit?

Having one of those weeks as if I'm on a hamster wheel not getting anywhere fast!

Skeleton Wheel

Its been so bad that I could not remember my old sign-in name on this board. Then what do I do? Make my sign-in name difficult as it is case sensitive.

I know I have said "Thank You" to those that have posted there help and suggestions but I also appreciate all of those that have kept my sanity.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 487
Message 9 of 10

I have never run windows on an R51e, but I have seen it running on a T42, which is similar hardware. You will not be able to upgrade xp to windows 7. Instead, you will need to do a clean install. Here is a discussion: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

I always suggest buying a new hard drive. That way, if you have problems in the install, you can always start over or go back. Also, you can get a USB cable and always retrieve any files you need to move. The first step is to buy a copy of windows7.

I want to say, that I think buying a copy of windows 7 and a disk for an R51e might not be the best investment. You are going to end up paying over $100 to upgrade an old machine. Then, you will need to install lots of updates on top of that. Just as a comparison, the last 2 W500 machines I have sold went for about $165 plus shipping, and they had a working copy of windows 7 on them and were ready to use. The W500 is 4 models newer, and uses DDR3 memory and SATA drives. I still have one left if you are interested.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
UsE2RoCk
Punch Card
Views: 450
Message 10 of 10

Good afternoon richk,

First I need to apologize for such a delayed reply. My neighbor went in to have some test done and the doctor found some cancerous polyps. They removed 13 and she went through a difficult time in recovery so I stepped in and helped where I could. The good news, she has a clean bill of health as of this date.

Back into my insane world trying to get Windows 7 on it. I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor several times and it reports it is compatible but I agree with you that the cost would not be worth the money for this old laptop.

I put a new hard drive about a year ago, ran across a good deal.

It presently has;

Used space:  23.8 GB

Free space:  44.9 GB

I do not have many software programs on it, as the speed is very slow.

Do you have a Lenovo/IBM laptop that you would consider to sale? If so, do you have the disk to restore it to the manufacturer settings? Also the disk to put Windows 7 back on it if I have to restore the laptop?

The reason I am not wanting to purchase a new laptop with Windows 8.1 version, I think Windows 9 may be something that is beyond with what previous versions of Windows,

If you do have a laptop for sale can you post what other software is installed on it? In hopes of finding a newer model than this R51e I am using can be replaced.

Once again, sorry for the delayed reply

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors