Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_B
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,070
Message 1 of 8

Replacement HDD for R51 (?)

I have a 4 yr old R51 which came up with a bad sector when I happened to do a scan the other week. The drive is a 60GB Fujitsu MHT2060AT and I used the Fujitsu utility for that HDD to rescan and repair the sector.

Three questions:

a) In view of that is it time to replace the HDD?  (SMART shows Re-allocated Sector Count - Value 99, Threshold 24, Worst 99)

b) The 60GB Fujitsu MHT2060AT (which is ATA-6) is now discontinued so would it be all right to replace it with the nearest equivalent from the current Fujitsu range, say the 60GB Fujitsu MHW2060AT (which is ATA-7, not ATA-6)?

Also, would it be OK to use the 80GB version of the same drive?

c) If I do change the HDD is there anything I should know about before proceeding?

Many thanks for your help.

MattRB
Token Ring
Views: 2,060
Message 2 of 8

Re: Replacement HDD for R51 (?)

If you could post your machine type (xxxx-xxx) we could see what the largest drive your machine can take. It would be a good time to swap the hard drive as if your hard drive starts failing, its only going to get worse, and one day bam, you have lost everything you have saved on your machine. i would reccomend backing up everything ASAP and to make the rescue and recovery media from inside windows so you dont need to purchase the cds from lenovo.
John_B
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,055
Message 3 of 8

Matt, Thanks for your help.

My Thinkpad is an R51, 1829-R6G. Yes, it would be very useful to know the largest size HDD it can handle.

My current HDD is partitioned into 'system'  and 'data' drives. I have started maintaining a "mirror" of the data drive on an external HDD and have a Ghost backup of the 'system' drive. I also have a Rescue and Recovery set from a couple of months after I bought the Thinkpad, but I will do another one tomorrow (belt and braces).

Besides the HDD issue, it is probably a good time to do a re-install of my software as it has got (very) bloated over the years. Something I put off as the thought makes me feel very nervous!

John_B
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,047
Message 4 of 8

"I also have a Rescue and Recovery set from a couple of months after I bought the Thinkpad, but I will do another one tomorrow (belt and braces)."

A moment of madness - of course I can only create one Recovery Set.

MattRB
Token Ring
Views: 2,042
Message 5 of 8

The largest hard drive your machine is 'supported' would be a 80gb 

(Not that a larger hard drive wont work, lenovo just cant guarentee it will work) 

Guru
Views: 2,036
Message 6 of 8

The largest drive available for this machine (or any other laptop using PATA) is WD 250GB/5400rpm, and yes, it will work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
John_B
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,990
Message 7 of 8

Matt and George,

Thank you both for your great help and advice.

I've installed the new HDD, done the 'Product Recovery' and 60% of the software re-installs. Everything went fine, though having read these forums helped greatly, especially knowing what to expect when the 'Product Recovery' appears to loop when it reboots.

In the end I played ultra cautious and got the Fujitsu 80GB HDD as its power requirements are slightly lower than the OEM Fujitsu whereas the WD range has power requirements slightly higher and therefore will probably run slightly hotter as well. Probably me being foolishly cautious ... well I can always change my mind!

I have a general question about upgrading Rescue and Restore, but that is probably better in a new thread.

Thanks again   :smileyhappy:

slipton306
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,297
Message 8 of 8

I have an R51, Type 2887-45U, with a 20GB HDD and want to know what is the largest HDD that I can replace it with. Also, I want to find out how to do the image migration to the new HDD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors