Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

43 Posts

07-11-2009

New York

69 Signins

356 Page Views

• Views: 356
  • Message 1 of 6

Rescue & Recovery deleting backups HELP!

2009-07-11, 3:57 AM

hi, i have an SL500 and the hard drive was 250gb but there is 211gb of available. anyway, i noticed i somehow only had 80gb left out of 211gb. i asked a technician at IBM what it was and he said it was my back up files. now my computer q drive crashed in March from me attempting to do something with the back ups and i needed a whole new hard drive, but my music was saved via flash drive.  the tech guy said that i should remove my old back ups. okay, fine. im doing that tonight and it's literally taking hours and right when i click "delete" it is not responding.  i had my Computer folder (? i think that's what you call it) opened up so i could see how much space i had, and it's actually DECREASING while i was "deleting" the backups, yet it was non responsive. it went from 80gb to 60gb. please help me solve this problem, im shaking in fear of losing my files because i do NOT want this to happen like last time. i don't know what could be taking up so much space.

I do plan on buying an external hard drive in the next week or so but please help me, I'm 17 and I'm deathly afraid of losing my files again and my 19gb of music.

please help :(
Answer
Options

263 Posts

07-08-2009

Atlanta, GA

116 Signins

3023 Page Views

• Views: 3023

Re: Rescue & Recovery deleting backups HELP!

2009-07-15, 18:18 PM
Rescue and Recovery software in your ThinkVantage folder creates backups (one full backup and the others are incremental) and stores them on a different section of the HDD that you won't be able to see just by going to the properties of the C: Drive.

Check Rescue and Recovery in the ThinkVantage folder 

Start -> All Programs -> ThinkVantage (or Lenovo Care) -> Rescue and Recovery

Once you are there, you will see a menu bar at the top with 4 or 5 options. Here, you have the ability to view the size of your backups. You also have the ability to delete them. Look for the word "Advanced" in the menu bar, then select "Delete Backups" to remove them and free up your hard drive space. Don't forget that you can also "schedule" your backups and you can elect to change the location you want the backups going to. For example, you can have the backups save on a CD or on a "network" drive. 

If you have Vista as your operating system, you can go to this document on our Lenovo site to get a general understanding of our HDD partitions:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70829

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Thanks,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

Replies(5)
Options

43 Posts

07-11-2009

New York

69 Signins

356 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2009-07-11, 12:55 PM

ok so last night before i shut down my computer it was 56.8gb and i JUST started my computer up at it's 55.3gb. what is going on?? this really isn't fair

edit: just deleted some stuff, like 3gb worth, and my space went up to 70gb. weird. still doesn't explain my large amount of space missing and my disability to delete the back ups

Message Edited by Dunkaroos on 07-11-2009 08:11 AM
Answer
Options

263 Posts

07-08-2009

Atlanta, GA

116 Signins

3023 Page Views

• Views: 3023
  • Message 3 of 6

2009-07-15, 18:18 PM
Rescue and Recovery software in your ThinkVantage folder creates backups (one full backup and the others are incremental) and stores them on a different section of the HDD that you won't be able to see just by going to the properties of the C: Drive.

Check Rescue and Recovery in the ThinkVantage folder 

Start -> All Programs -> ThinkVantage (or Lenovo Care) -> Rescue and Recovery

Once you are there, you will see a menu bar at the top with 4 or 5 options. Here, you have the ability to view the size of your backups. You also have the ability to delete them. Look for the word "Advanced" in the menu bar, then select "Delete Backups" to remove them and free up your hard drive space. Don't forget that you can also "schedule" your backups and you can elect to change the location you want the backups going to. For example, you can have the backups save on a CD or on a "network" drive. 

If you have Vista as your operating system, you can go to this document on our Lenovo site to get a general understanding of our HDD partitions:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70829

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Thanks,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

43 Posts

07-11-2009

New York

69 Signins

356 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2009-07-15, 20:51 PM

Mark,

I know what to do, but it just freezes whenever I want to do something.  I did notice though, that my latest back up is gone. (the one from june) but the april one is there. (There wasn't one in May for some reason- I think my computer was off during the time it was scheduled to back up.)

I just deleted my April backup without a problem, for the first time ever. Now there are none. I'm starting a new back up now instead of tomorrow when it is scheduled because my computer will be turned off as I am going on a mini vacation.

ok, the backup WAS taking up a lot of space. I had 68gb and now I have 98gb.

I plan on buying an external drive in the next few weeks. Thanks for your time! :)

Options

1 Posts

09-30-2009

Los Angeles

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-09-30, 0:23 AM

Is there a way to delete the larger back up without deleting the system settings restore point associated with the backup?  I'd like to keep the ability to restore to a certain date's settings, but I want to delete the large backup that is clogging my harddrive. 

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2010

12 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 6 of 6

2010-10-17, 18:41 PM
Thanks MarkATL, solved my problem with 'unknown space' on my HD,
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms