Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoUser1961
Token Ring
Views: 2,996
Message 1 of 5

Rescue and Recovery hangs for hours at back up 0%

Hi there

My R61 was running quite o.k, but getting slow over time. I had through rescue and recovery done a backup of the whole system on an external hard drive. (I had reverted to XP and recently did a total system backup on the extenal HD). So I did started the rescue and recovery, thinking that it should simply reinstall this earlier saved system. Alas at step 2 of the rescue and recovery progress, the new generation of the system stopped. Black screen with message: "Backing up system is being done ...0%". Here I wait for hours. Nothing progesses.

What should I do? IThe "progress" is going on for 6 hours already!! ( I see that my external HD blinks from time to time, but the computer doesn't seem to do anything).

What should I do??? I fear, that if I press the power button to reboot the computer, I will crash it completely.

Please help me!!!

Thanks in Advance

Roger

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,968
Message 2 of 5

Re: Rescue and Recovery hangs for hours at back up 0%

so you got a different non-XP os installed on the current computer, and you are restoring from a XP related back up R&R

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
LenovoUser1961
Token Ring
Views: 2,956
Message 3 of 5

No. I had got the r61 with Vista pre-installed. One could however, install the XP using the Lenovo support discs that came with the notebook. So I did install XP, because I hated Vista.

Situation now:

After 8  Hours, the Progress bar has quickly moved to 100% within two minutes. It now says "Remainingng time: 0 seconds" ....and hangs again for hours!!!!

Question: Is the back up going on, or is something wrong. I think I go crazy with the feedback (no feedback!!!) from the screen. Shouldn't there be very clear instructions during such a process on what to do, and on what not to do? E.g. how long such a process might take?

Question: How long do I have to wait untill the system is regenerated? So far, I have waited almost one full day.

thanks for any feedback (since my computer doesn't give me any during this crucial moment).

Thanks.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,951
Message 4 of 5

i once waited for 1 day, but usually couple of hours should get the job done. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
LenovoUser1961
Token Ring
Views: 2,941
Message 5 of 5

Resuce and Recovery hang several times for hours. Yet, it seemed to work after 20 Hours. Puhhhh.....

At Lenovo: Your user interface during the rescue and recovery process is non-functioning. It left me without any feedback for hours. I almost rebooted the computer during critical back-ups. Here, you definitely must help the user to understand what to do and what not. How can I know, that it is o.k to have a bar saying 0% progress is made during 8 hours.

Even now, I'm not sure what to do. The computer restarted, windows is there, o.k. But can I now turn the computer off, or is still something going on for Rescue and recovery. Last time, it said, it was at step 2 of a total of 5 steps. Is it now still doing something in the back??? Is the rescue finished? Where is the message telling me, that it has done the job.

To all users: Be patient, don't touch anything during running a rescue and recovery.

At Lenovo: By the way, I had - after installing my computer with xp - done a backup of the system. this I repeated several times. When my HD got full, I delete some of the older versions, because anyway, I had latest versions that worked perfectly. Alas, I didn't know, that obviously rescue and recovery does one system save, the later versions are simply updates. By deleting the first version, I lost all of them!!! So, I ended up having no real backup from an early timepoint.  In short: Rescue and Recovery might be a fine tool for an IT-expert. For the average user, it has way too many pitfalls. Lenovo: Please try user-centered-design instead of Chinese user-inferface rubbish, if in future, you want to keep the brand name as "almost IBM". For me, Lenovo - in this respect - is more "almost already chinese It-garbage"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors