cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,850
Message 1 of 5

?? Restore Recovery Partition with Recovery Disc after deleting Recovery Partition

Hi everyone, I know this must sound like a real stupid title, but please bear with me for a moment:

Having wiped my R50p clean with the "Access IBM" button, I noticed that I only had a C drive with 20 GB of which much was in use. In Windows XP Disk Manager I saw that there was a whopping 55 GB on a hidden partition that I only had the option of to "remove", not to activate or anything else. Realising that this was the hidden partition with the IBM restore files, I was hesitant to take any action. After doing some research on several forums I found that the recovery part should only take up 20 GB, which corresponded somewhat to the fact that Disk Manager showed 42 GB of 55 GB to be "free" (if only I could use the free space!).

In order to access those magnificent 42 free GBs on the 55 GB hidden partition, I first created a ThinkVantage recovery disc (strangely it was only one CD-R) and disabled IBM Predesktop Area in the BIOS. As a result, I proceeded with deleting the 55 GB partition and it became unallocated space, therefore allowing me to make it a new partition and assign a drive letter (in this case D), doing a "quick format (NTFS)" in order to be able to use the space available, and finally giving me the full 55 GB.

Since I had preferred to leave the recovery files on the hidden partition, but had no idea how to access the useful other 42 GBs, I followed the abovementioned procedure. Now my question is whether it's possible to recreate another hidden partition and use the files from the Recovery CD-R so as to enable the IBM Predesktop Area once again, but this time making the hidden partition only so small as to accommodate the files (and if necessary some space for extraction), while maintaining access to the new-found 42 GB, and allowing me to once again using the "Access IBM" button to recover and wipe the system.

If so, will this make the full 55 GB hidden once again and means that I'll lose any data saved on the 55 GB partition as soon as I wipe the system? Or will it properly "honor" the new partition sizes and leave my data intact, while offering me "Access IBM" recovery from the hard drive? Another question I have relates to my Recovery CD-R: by using it, will that also hide the 55 GB partition once again and involve losing my data on that disk?

I realize this is somewhat of a complicated question, but appreciate any insights I can get. Thank you all in advance!

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,831
Message 2 of 5

Re: ?? Restore Recovery Partition with Recovery Disc after deleting Recovery Partition

pvanedan, welcome to the forum,

after reading your post several times I think I understand your situation as it is now. The answer is as follows; which you may not like Smiley Surprised sorry Smiley Sad

You have successfully deleted the recovery partition in order to gain more space, that's the good news Smiley Happy

The cd you have created is only a boot cd and not a recovery cd, this would be used to boot your ThinkPad and access a recovery backup which is stored on another hard drive, cd/dvds or over network. It alone is not able to recreate the recovery partition which you no longer have, that's the bad news Smiley Mad

I would suggest backing up your files regularly and using an appropriate imaging software to backup your installation.

Edit: What I don't understand is; why 55GB? The partition should have been around 4GB, maybe it was full of backups??

Message Edited by andyP on 07-03-2008 07:30 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,822
Message 3 of 5

Re: ?? Restore Recovery Partition with Recovery Disc after deleting Recovery Partition

Wow, thanks for the lightning-fast response, andyP! And thanks for taking the effort to comprehend the not-so-straightforward narration.

So far I'm happy that I was able to get the extra space and should perhaps have engaged in some more active inquiry before taking the steps mentioned. What can I say: I guess I wasn't patient enough Smiley Wink

Anyway, I definitely appreciate you enlightening me with regard to what I can expect from the Recovery CD, since now I'll be able to take action before wiping my system only to find out I won't be able to use the CD.

What I do find somewhat strange though is that I used the procedure as described in other topics to make this disc, but as usual I should have used common sense and realize that Recovery CD and "Backup of Service Partition" aren't the same. Would be nice though if IBM can make this distinction more obvious, particularly since I used the ThinkVantage "Create Recovery Media" (or something) shortcut in the ThinkVantage menu.

Perhaps as a workaround: A friend of mine has an R51 with the same operating system which still has the hidden partition intact . Does it make sense to make a proper backup of this partition or will it differ from the one I should have made based on my R50p hidden partition?

With regard to the 55GB partition I can say that I was equally puzzled. It simply doesn't make any sense for the partition to be this large, but that was the situation I was facing directly after the full wipe and reinstalling of the system, hence it is unlikely to have contained any backups, especially since I haven't made any.

What's more, even if backups were taking up the space, the disk showed 42GB of free space, which I would've been more than happy with, but I couldn't acces it. If I think along IBM's logic of the C drive as the "system" drive, which commonly is 20GB and exactly so in my situation, then the 55GB simply signifies all space left on the hard drive aside from the 20GB used for the system partition. However, the difference here then is that for some reason the IBM hard drive partioning of having 20GB on the system drive, a hidden partition for service files and a third partition for remaining available space was not implemented here, as the hidden partition and a possible third partition were somehow grouped.

I hope you don't mind my new questions and thinking out loud with regard to the strange issue I've faced. I really appreciate your reply and definitely enjoy throwing some ideas back and forth- who knows who will benefit from reading this topic and find a solution in the end.

By the way, I've got an R50p 1832-W1D, running XP Pro.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,819
Message 4 of 5

I think your suggestion about creating recovery cds from your friends R51 should work, there will be problems with one or two drivers, note I wrote "will be" and not "might be", therefore you should copy your C:\IBMTOOLS folder to another hdd or DVD, this folder contains all your original drivers and Apps delivered with your R50p.

Your friend should also backup their system beforehand, things do go wrong when they shouldn't.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

pvaneden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,817
Message 5 of 5

Thanks a million!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors