Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
toecutter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,397
Message 1 of 8

Reverting to SATA after XP Install.

I installed XP and all the drivers using the HDD compatibility mode in BIOS.. Its running fine now (more or less) but I would like to switch it back to SATA to reap those benefits.. I get a blue error screen and an auto reboot whenever I do this however.

I found a HDD firmware update in the driver matrix, but the read me is in some bad non native English and I need some clarification before I try it.. also it only mentions Vista issues in the description.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-63685

This is the bad English passage I cant quite understand>>>>>ThinkPad W700, SL300, SL400, SL500 SATA HDD configuration should be `Compatible'. Change SATA HDD in BIOS Setup/Config before update a firmware. Also note that restore this configuration after update, or an operating system won't start up and blue screen error may come up.

jwally
Paper Tape
Views: 4,316
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reverting to SATA after XP Install.

toe

I have installed XP pro on my SL400 and tried to run the Matrix driver located on the drivers page with no results that work.  I just get the "install failed" message that seems to be common across the forums when dealing with this machine.  I have decided that Lenovo has no clue how to solve this problem or they would have posted a solution I would think. It is only a problem to me because I am running a dual boot and have to keep changing the mode in the bios.  I wish I could solve this but I am not that computer savy.  Of course Lenovo is one of the few companies that have full XP support so I am proud of that and is the reason I bought one to start with. Hopefully someone will figure it out and post a solution.

I did read about using Nlite to slipstream sata drivers into a windows install but I am not sure if the Matrix drivers on the SL400 download page will work for this.

I don't think the link you posted will solve anything ..... at least in my opinion.

James

James

toecutter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,302
Message 3 of 8

Thanks James.. I just need to wait I guess, although having more prople like yourself suffering the same problem will probably get the Lenovo folks to pay some attention to the problem.

RE your dual boot.. Couldnt you just leave in in "compatability mode" across both of the OSs?

It also seems really strange to me that it shipped with the XP running and in SATA mode.yet I cant get that to work after reinstalling. Whats more, I know the drivers are in there because it starts booting and then hits the blue screen. I have the same problem however when I try to reinstall the drivers via ahrdware manager.

Anyway, lets hope they get this sorted out soon. I'm starting to wish I had stayed with the T60 I was using.

jwally
Paper Tape
Views: 4,294
Message 4 of 8

toe

I got mine to work .....

I downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for the T60 from here  Matrix driver for T60.  When I unpacked it I went to the unpack location and in a folder called "PREPARE" there is a file named "install".  Follow the directions below ( they are the ones in a white box) and when it reboots point it toward the SL Matrix file instead of the T60 one.  If you haven't unpacked it make sure and do that before trying this.

Thinkpad Super Guide

I hope this isn't to confusing Smiley Wink  IF so let me know and I will try and make it easier to understand.

James

toecutter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,280
Message 5 of 8

Outstanding James.. That that worked and that you had the confidence to try such a complicated and undocumented proceedure blows me away. Anyway I followed your instructions and pulled it off. THIS IS SATAAAAAAAAAA! I guess we can put a solved beside this altough the Lenovo dudes should put that preparation thing in with the SL driver and document the proceedure. Anyway you nailed it so Ill let you do the honors! Thanks man.
devilangel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,251
Message 6 of 8

OMFG ?! I had same problem and Lenovo guys just said no can do solution! As I give a shot for this, it really worked out!

Damm, thanks a million, you should be given a price for this =P

jwally
Paper Tape
Views: 4,223
Message 7 of 8

Glad I could help out Smiley Happy

Toe ..... It really wasn't that big of deal since I couldn't get the dual boot to work without changing the bios setting each time depending on which version of Windows I was booting to. I figured what the heck and it worked.  I have done quite a bit of work for the local school system over the years so I am comfortable trying things.  I just prefer they are on someone else's computer (LOL).  I figured the worst thing that could happen was a total reload of the machine with XP.

Devilangel ..... I sure do miss the days when "tech support" actually meant something Smiley Sad  Now if they don't have it in their "queue" they don't seem interested in trying to solve anything. Considering I have seen this mentioned on other forums I am surprised that Lenovo doesn't seem to care. Well maybe I'm not after reading the "fan constantly on"post.

James

hankn
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,621
Message 8 of 8

@jwally wrote:

toe

I got mine to work .....

I downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for the T60 from here  Matrix driver for T60.  When I unpacked it I went to the unpack location and in a folder called "PREPARE" there is a file named "install".  Follow the directions below ( they are the ones in a white box) and when it reboots point it toward the SL Matrix file instead of the T60 one.  If you haven't unpacked it make sure and do that before trying this.

Thinkpad Super Guide

I hope this isn't to confusing Smiley Wink  IF so let me know and I will try and make it easier to understand.

James

Let me understand.  You downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for the T60 and installed it on your SL500?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors