Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 2

SL400 - HDD Loud Noise

I am having SL400 Thinkpad. for the past few days it is acting weirdly.

My hard disk is making lot of noise. Initially I thought it is coming from CPU fan. But when I observed ThinkVantage active protection - It is displaying auto repetitive shocks.  This sound is just too loud. I cannot hear anything if I switch on my laptop. 

Now, my laptop performance become very slow even though I am having Core2Duo with 4GB RAM. My laptop is one yr old and it's warranty is over in April. OS is Vista. 

Appreciate if anyone has suggestions to fix this problem. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: SL400 - HDD Loud Noise

if it is making lot of loud noise, then it could be a sign of bearing is worn out on the hdd. Try to do a hdd health check through the BIOS menu, and see whether you have any errors on the hdd.

I think Lenovo allows you to extend warranty provided that the day of renewal is within 30 days of the warranty expiration. You should call them up and see if that is possible.

Aftermarket hdd is pretty cheap too, a 500 gig one is around 80 or 90 USD on If you buy the WD and Seagate brand, there is a manufacturer provided copy of the Acronis Trueimage where you can transfer the entire hdd image from the old hdd to the new hdd. 

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Top Kudoed Authors