Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-30-2008

Florida

77 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 1 of 1

SL400 extremely loud CPU fan.

2008-11-30, 19:09 PM

Recently, over the past couple of days my SL400 Lenovo has started acting up.  The noises come at random times as far as I can tell.  They don't seem to be tied to any partcular fan speed, so when the computer is very hot while running Team Fortress 2 or some HD content, it'll sometime be silent sometimes loud.  On the other hand, sometimes when it's extremely cool (33 degrees c) it'll also really kick up a racket.

Once it starts it seems to continue for an indefinite amount of time, continuing as the fan speed changes (although also varying somewhat in loudness) but then will suddenly go away completely.

To give you an idea of how loud it is, I like to keep my computer next to me when I go to bed so I can fall asleep watching a DVD or or some video.  I've been woken up two nights in a row because of the loud noises it makes.  I'd say it's probably at least 5 times lounder than the nearly silent running it did before hand, and which it still does from time to time.

I opened up the bottem to take a look at the CPU fan when it was making that horrible racket and confirmed that the fan is the source of the noise.  I put my finger on it to stop it from spinning and confirmed that the noise stopped with the fan.

The noise sounds like an off balance fan, is there some method of fixing this without having to send this into Lenovo?  I've already needed to send in my laptop because the RAM literally died a mere month after I purchased it.  I'm growing quite displeased with Lenovo because of the quality of their product and unless this can be fixed without having them actually replace the fan I don't think it terribly likely that I will buy from them again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms