Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (2,709 Views)

SL400 left hinge broke

[ Edited ]

So I was working on my laptop last night, and while I was trying to move the screen to have a better view, the latch suddenly broke. I had no idea why it could just break like that. My laptop is still working just fine, except with the broken latch the screen is not level. I called Lenovo customer service this morning, and the rep. said I could send the laptop to them tomorrow. She asked me if it was an accident, because if it was, I might have to pay for the service. I don't quite understand how Lenovo can determine whether a certain damage is caused by accident or simply poor product quality? I'm really anxious about this because I have so many papers to turn in for school, and several work-related documents. Has anyone in here experienced the same problem? If so, how did Lenovo deal with your case? I'd be grateful to hear from you 'cause I would seriously never do business with Lenovo anymore if they charged me to have the latch fixed.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (2,697 Views)

Re: SL400 latch broke

Are you taking about the latch or the hinge? It should be fine with the hinge repair under warranty, as long as you didn't drop it or anything like that. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 7 (2,688 Views)

I believe it's the hinge, not the latch. Thanks a lot. I didn't really know the difference.

Token Ring
Message 4 of 7 (2,667 Views)

The SL series are well known for a weak left (as you look at it) hinge.  I had one break, no abuse or anything.  Lots of posts about it.  They fixed it in warrant.

They also have a weak power connector with a long power plug that puts a lot of stress on it and can cause it to break.  That they told me waas abuse.  Abuse my ass.  So, I no longer buy Lenovos.  Save on a $10 part in a warranty claim, lose a customer for life.  Yeah Lenovo!

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 7 (2,609 Views)

I haven't had any problem with the AC adapter and power plug yet. I did have a similar problem with a Compaq laptop though. It just stopped charging all of a sudden. I contacted HP. They sent me a new one after asking me to do several tests to make sure it really wasn't working. Anyway, I sent my laptop to Lenovo yesterday. They should receive it by Monday and fix it by the end of next week. I'll let everyone know what's up once I have my laptop back. One big plus is that they use UPS Next Day Air (for warranty only guys, I had to wait 3 weeks to get my laptop last time).

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 6 of 7 (2,562 Views)

all the Lenovo thinkpads (apart from the W700) use the same power plug design, and i haven't really heard people complaining about the power plug design as far. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7 (1,325 Views)

We've had our SL400 for a couple of years. The AC plug broke while it was under warranty and was repaired by mail within a few days. The left hinge broke just after the warranty ended and will cost $140 to repair. We're not so sure we would buy a Lenovo again. It seems to us that known defects should be repaired even out of warranty.
Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count