Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrLenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,444
Message 1 of 11

SL410 HDD Caddy / Clone ?

Would anyone know a source for a HDD caddy allowing me to clone my mis-behaving SL410 HDD?

Specifics: I have a 3-yr-old SL410 Type 28427PU for which the HDD has begun clicking noises. I wish to clone the drive before it fails. One process many fora mention:

1. Create bootable CD's via Acronis or other software.

2. Remove the old drive (256Gb) from the internal drive slot.

3. Insert the new drive (for example, Lenovo 43N3423, 500Gb) in the internal drive slot.

4. Place the old drive in an external caddy.

5. Boot from the Acronis CD's.

6. Clone the old drive (now external) onto the new drive (now internal).

Lenovo still has 43N3423 HDD's. The only flies in the ointment:

a. I need to be sure the 43N3423 is compatible with the SL410's internal drive slot.

b. I need to find an external caddy for the old drive.

Questions:

- Would anyone have any information about this?

- Also, will Acronis or other clone software clone the Q (recovery) partition along with the C: partition?

- Will the clone s/w clone the drive ID/SN itself so any software sensitive to that will still work?

- Will the clone software clone the MBR?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,425
Message 2 of 11

Re: SL410 HDD Caddy / Clone ?

Acronis should be able to clone the entire drive including the MBR and Q:

There's an option to preserve the volume ID, but I don't recall if it's available during a clone op, or during a save/restore.  Check the docs.

If you aren't able to find that, or forget to do it, or otherwise need to preserve/change the ID there's a utility to do that.  Save the ID with the built-in vol command (write it down).  Set the ID with VolumeID:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,379
Message 3 of 11

@FrLenovo wrote:

a. I need to be sure the 43N3423 is compatible with the SL410's internal drive slot.

Yes, 43N3423 is a 2.5-inch diameter, 9.5-mm height SATA HDD and will fit the SL410's internal drive slot.

Views: 1,351
Message 4 of 11

Thank you!

If I understand the imaging sofware (such as Acronis):

- the software can (1) make boot discs and (2) copy the drive image to an external USB drive

- one then installs the (empty) new drive

- on boot, the software copies the image from the external USB drive to the new internal drive.

If so, then I should not need an external caddy for the internal Lenovo drive. Correct?

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,327
Message 5 of 11

@FrLenovo wrote:

...  If so, then I should not need an external caddy for the internal Lenovo drive. Correct?

Yes, you can accomplish this via an external hard drive caddy.

Quoting from page 187 of the Acronis True Image user guide itself: http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

"For best results, install the target (new) drive where you plan to use it and the source drive in another location, e.g. in an external USB enclosure. This recommendation is especially important for laptops. "

You will find this KnowledgeBase article helpful:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Cloning-Upgrading-Hard-Drive-in-R61/ta-p/404...

Also read: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-Unsuccessful-attempt-to-upgrade-HDD-...

Views: 1,312
Message 6 of 11

Thanks.

I need an external enclosure. Can I take the current (old) internal hard drive and simply install it in this external enclosure:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/integration.workflowSmiley TongueroductDis...

I would then attach the enclosure to a current USB port. Would the clone software (such as Acronis) then be able to "see" the old drive?

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,303
Message 7 of 11

Yes, that external enclosure will work.

Then, just follow the (240 pages Smiley Happy ) of step-by-step instructions in the Acronis User Guide. Acronis also has a Help Forum available. Besides Acronis, there are also a couple of freeware solutions you can explore. EaseUS Disk Copy and Clonezilla Live are both highly regarded. Clonezilla also offers a Help Forum where you can troubleshoot any problems you may encounter during the cloning process.

Views: 1,299
Message 8 of 11

Here's an Acronis cloning tutorial by one of our SuperMods: http://www.andyp.me/blog1.php/hard-drive-clonewars-klonkrieg-der-festplatten

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

FrLenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,285
Message 9 of 11

Thanks, Anastasios & Zoltan. The reason I asked is that I'd downloaded & checked the Acronis doc before posting and couldn't find a clear possibility of separating boot media from data. But you've given much additional information, which I'll review, as well as the alternate software you've named. I'd think it commonplace to clone drives; I just have to pin down the details before spending money on the wrong materiel.

One such detail: How is the above external enclosure powered? Solely from the USB? Is that sufficient?

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,275
Message 10 of 11

@FrLenovo wrote:
One such detail: How is the above external enclosure powered? Solely from the USB? Is that sufficient?

Yes, they don't show it in the picture but like most USB external adapters, it includes the USB cable to attach it to your laptop, which is a sufficient power source.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors