Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
postal12587
Paper Tape
Views: 2,297
Message 1 of 7

SL500 DVD RW (optical) drive

About two weeks ago my DVD drive stopped working. I haven't dropped the laptop. The icon is still there in My Computer. But it appears the motor has died. Media doesn't spin up when a disk is inserted. I've searched the Lenovo Parts site but haven't found a replacement drive. Has anyone else had to replace their drive? If so, where did you get the part? Or will it just be cheaper to buy an outboard USB drive (which I loathe to do because it means carrying additional hardware)?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,268
Message 2 of 7

Re: SL500 DVD RW (optical) drive

it will be cheaper just to go with the external optical drive. 

Or you could consider getting the post warranty warranty. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,241
Message 3 of 7

Hi and welcome to the forum postal12587,

You can find part number from this link:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70451 and then try calling IBM parts.

Alternatively you can try ebay:- http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-SL300-SL400-SL500-DL-DVD-DVD-R-RW-Drive-/400107570837?cmd=ViewIt...

USB drive might be cheap, but it will mean carrying extra luggage as you pointed out. Do a self assessment yourself. When mobile, do I need an optical drive? If so, can I compromise inconvenience of lugging an extra device over green value? etc.

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

postal12587
Paper Tape
Views: 2,228
Message 4 of 7

I've been checking the local retailers (Staple's, etc.) for their pricing on portable drives just in case. Thanks for your input.

postal12587
Paper Tape
Views: 2,221
Message 5 of 7

Maliha,

I've gotten as far as the IBM/Lenovo link you supplied before but didn't consider Ebay as an option. The only internal drives that seem to be on the site are here >>

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:show-category-with-items?category-id=05DDD9AC6ACF41188DF914D49172E04F

None of the drives listed on the above page seem to be replacements for the SL500. It's late here in CT right now and I work the night shift. But I'll research the drive numbers to see if the Ebay listing you gave will work. Thanks for your input.

LM549
What's DOS?
Views: 1,975
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem.  How did u solve? internal or external drive?

postal12587
Paper Tape
Views: 1,962
Message 7 of 7

Actually didn't solve it yet. So many things get in the way (aka, had to pay annual property tax on my car)! Smiley Sad I've been watching eBay in order to get as exact a match as I can on the FRU. One bid was a match but the DVD was removed from another computer. Made me wonder how much life was left if mine died. Will post an update as soon as I make a final decision.

If you want to watch eBay here's the link for the search:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_nkw=Lenovo%20SL500%20DVD&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_trksid=m194&ssP...Smiley Frustrated

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors