Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retired_IBMer
What's DOS?
Views: 1,836
Message 1 of 5

SL500 IEEE 1394 Port- doesn't work for me

Hello. This is my first time.

I have tried to connect my SL500 to a digital hard drive recorder using the recorder's DVI input and the laptop's IEEE 1394 port on the left side near the front. The purpose is to record a slide show from My Pictures, or other picture folders, with music from Windows Media Player, onto an external hard drive recorder (made by LiteOn) from which I can then make a copy onto a DVD-R. However, there is no signal coming out of the IEEE 1394 port of the laptop. When I first connected everything together there was a message saying that the 1394 connection was recognized and ready for use. But still no signal. With no other external monitor connected I tried Fn + F7 to display on an external monitor but that was not allowed.

I have used the same IEEE 1394 cable in the past to copy from my digital camcorder's DVI output  to the DVI input of the digital hard drive recorder to make a DVD. So I know that that is not the problem.

The Lenovo web site and the Lenovo Care online help gives no clue as to how to make the IEEE 1394 port work. Does anyone out there have a suggestion? My warrenty expired about 1 month ago and tech support won't talk with me about this unless I buy a new $500 (approx) warranty.

I really like the SL500. It does everything that I need and does it well, except for this issue.

Szymon_Zy
Serial Port
Views: 1,766
Message 2 of 5

Re: SL500 IEEE 1394 Port- doesn't work for me

could you tell me what do you want to do with this cable? It's not clear from your post. Where do you get no signal? FireWire is serial interface for data transmision, as i can barely understand you want to send video out through this port but don't know to which device.

retired_IBMer
What's DOS?
Views: 1,722
Message 3 of 5

I have a hard drive recorder made by a Taiwanese company called Lite On. It has a DV input which I have used in the past successfully to copy digital video/audio from a digital camcorder to the hard drive. From there I can make copies onto DVD+RW or DVD-R. Now I have a folder of photos on my Lenovo laptop and want to copy them in a slide show onto the Lite On hard drive so that I can copy them to a DVD. My laptop has a DVD Player but not a DVD recorder. I understand that IEEE 1394 is a physical and electrical description and DV is a digital format. It may be that there is a signal coming out of the 1394 port on the laptop in an AVI format, which is probably not compatible with the LiteOn's DV input. Is this clear?

snuffdaddy
Punch Card
Views: 1,655
Message 4 of 5

Firstly check if your external recorder is shown in device manager. if not correct drivers need to be found either from MSoft or from LiteON.

For the SL500 IEEE1394 port to transfer data to your external device HDD you may have to assign the said drive manually a drive letter, if its not done automatically on connection. Which could be your second problem.

Hope this helps

Y580 i7 3610QM (3.3GHz), Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, 8GB RAM, 256GB Plaxtor msata , 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1TB 5400rpm HD, Blu-ray RW (swappable), 15.6in 1366x768 LCD Gloss, 2GB GTX660M, TV Tuner, Integrated 802.11 bg/bgn WiFi, Bluetooth, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Camera, 6c Li-Ion
retired_IBMer
What's DOS?
Views: 1,546
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the advice. The HDD recorder (made by LiteOn) has worked successfully with a DV connection from a digital camcorder made by Sony. So I think it is properly enabled. How do I "assign the said drive manually a drive letter, if its not done automatically on connection?"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors