Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

SL510 CTRL FN key swap?

Hi,

I JUST got a new Lenovo SL510 (2847D2U) yesterday; my first.  So far I am pleased with it.  I do have a couple of issues.  The first is the position of the CTRL key. 

Looking through the Lenovo site, this forum, and using Google, I see that this is a common problem users have.  I came from a Dell Latitude 6410.  Apparently Lenovo has responded and provided a BIOS setting for this.  However, in the initial BIOS of this system (1.40) and now 1.44 there is no such setting.

Is there anyway I can swap the FN and CTRL keys?

Regards,

Nelson

Highlighted
Bit Torrent
0 Kudos

Re: SL510 CTRL FN key swap?

Hello mate,

I don't think it's possible for the SL series

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

I hope you are mistaken.  So far I am impressed with this laptop; however, the placement of the CTRL key is important to me and may force me to return it.   Even if I can train my finger to find the second key in, I already sense that it will cause significant pain as it forces the finger to curl under.  

There is a version 1.37 of the BIOS which purports to switch the keys.  There is also someone else who has hacked a more recent BIOS versions.  I would much prefer to have an official solution, especially in light of the fact that Lenovo produced a solution in Oct-Nov of 2009.   I hope Lenovo folks prowl these forums and may have a more positive message.

Thanks and regards,

Nelson

Lenovo Staff

[ Edited ]

Vince69 is right.  The BIOS option to swap Fn/Ctrl does not exist on SL series.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

OK - Not being able to switch the CTRL and FN keys is a big deal to me.  If you use Emacs you'd immediately know why.  I have turned the CapsLk key into a CTRL key which helps; however, that is not as good as I'd like.   I think overall the ThinkPad is an AWESOME laptop.  This keyboard, stupid key positioning aside, is AWESOME!  The construction just feels good. 

If I upgraded to the L512 or Z560 ThinkPads would I be able to swap the CTRL and FN keys in the BIOS?

Regards,

Nelson

Lenovo Staff

Personally I don't have a problem with the key positioning.  I use visual studio where ctrl-key combos are used everywhere and it's no problem for me.  I think it's just what you get used to, and you're used to something different, which is completely understandable.  God forbid if I had to use a Dell, I'm sure I would complain about the same thing!

The L410/412/510/512 series does not have the option you want.

If you wanted to wait for the upcoming L420/L520 series, they will have it.  In fact I *think* all of the upcoming 2011 thinkpad products will have that feature. 

As for the Z560, that's not a thinkpad (it's an ideapad) so you would need to ask on that forum.  I'm sorry that I don't have one to check.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

**bleep**... I am constrained in that I am trying to buy a replacement laptop after losing my job.  I do not have a lot of time to wait for new models.  (What!?  You didn't start producing this year's models last year like they do with cars? Shocking!)

I am starting to hate Lenovo for making me make tough choices.  You guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

As a problem solver I have even considered re-wiriing the keyboard.  However, I would screw up the warranty regardless of success so I won't... for another two years.

Thank you for your quick response.