Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,170
Message 1 of 7

SL510 Windows 7 hangs on shutdown and update

Model number is Thinkpad SL510 - Type is 28427FM.

I have recently (5 weeks ago) commissioned a new Wireless Network in my office using a Netgear Router (WNR3500 v2) coupled with a Netgear ADSL2+ Modem (DM111P v2).  Since starting this network I have noted three issues which may be related.

1. Laptop hangs on shutdown.  Need to reset to close then at next boot I get a Windows shut down error message (and on occasion the BSOD).
  2. Laptop hangs on install of Windows updates or any other software.
  3. USB seems to be disabled – memory sticks won’t load when plugged for example – but USB devices like hub, keyboard and mouse that were attached on start-up wok ok.

I am running Windows 7 Pro.  I have updated the Bios (LENOVO 6JET73WW 1.31).  I have all current Windows and Lenovo updates on board.  I have AVG Virus on board which is up to date – not aware of any virus issue.  I use Windows firewall.

I also have a wireless network at home (Siemens Router) and when m y laptop is connected at home there are no problems.  I also have a Windows XP Pro IBM Desktop Box in the office connected via USB wireless adaptor and it works fine.

I have googled the problem and there are a number of similar issues regarding hang on shut down with Windows 7.  Some seem to relate to driver problems regarding Bitlocker – but that is not a product I use – Windows just released an update patch to fix that problem but has not worked for me..  The problem may be Windows 7 related, it may be driver related.  Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Arky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,007
Message 2 of 7

Re: SL510 Windows 7 hangs on shutdown and update

Further to my earlier post... 

I have since changed my Router and Modem to an ISP supplied combo Router/Modem that is not Netgear.  The problem still persists so this suggests that it is not a router firmware or settings problem - and the brand of router may not be the issue (although it is odd I don't have the problem on my home wifi network!!).  So I feel it is a Windows 7 problem or a problem with the Lenovo Access Connections software.

Any help is appreciated. 

papafox
Paper Tape
Views: 2,976
Message 3 of 7

Look in Event Viewer, under Error.  You should be able to find what is causing the hang.

Arky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,871
Message 4 of 7

I have reviewed the Event Manager - Error Log and although there are a number of errors showing (most are to do with a Brother Printer Log) none of them seem to be consistently associated with the times I shut down the machine or when it hangs? 

If I shut down at say 6.00pm at night and it hangs then - should I expect to see an error log showing at that time - or could the problem relate to an error logged earlier in the day?? 

wcaldwell
What's DOS?
Views: 2,789
Message 5 of 7

I have a similar problem.  My SL510 with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit is having problems shutting down.  Since this is usually a driver related issue so I started looking at that right away.  After installing all of the updates, and some failed attempts at replacing the camera driver and the wireless NIC driver I restored to factory default.  I successfully tested the reboot several times on the base factory install.  There were no lockup issues.  I then started applying updates, testing after each one.  The initial reboots were successful, but eventually I started getting the same lockups.  Not sure what update started the problem, but I'm pretty sure it started with an update.  The only software I have installed has been MS Office 2010 and Dragon Naturally Speaking 10.  Everything else is factory stuff.  

I have checked the Event Viewer for error and there are none.  This last time it hung I let it sit and eventually got a BSOD.  It flashed too fast to get the full text of the message.  

I really like the laptop in general.  It's fast and the display is awesome.  Would love to get this issue resolved.  

LeeKeery
Paper Tape
Views: 2,719
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

I am also having the same problems wth this laptop. It was purchased a month ago for office and remote use. As said above it has started hanging on shutdown, only started a few days ago.

It was however, hanging when left idle for an hour or so. All power settings etc are turned off so that isnt it. I took it a week or two ago then to run updates from Lenovo and windows, this seemed to stop it hanging when idle for a while.

But as said for the past few days its started hanging on shutdown (not while updating). I have ran disk check, clean up etc anti virus and malware and nothing. Everyting is working and up to date and it isn't showing any hardware problems.

Runs Windows 7 proffesional 32bit. Is connected to a Domain.

Could this be a bad combination of hardware causing the laptop to crash like this? It seems to be a fairly common problem for a new model laptop????

LeeKeery
Paper Tape
Views: 2,434
Message 7 of 7

Has anybody found a solution to this problem yet? I have made a few more changes since my previous post

1. Updated bios to latest version - released June/2010.

2. Re-installed windows 7 and all applications

3. Installed all the latest drivers

4. Updated windows and lenovo software

But still it hangs when left idle, or when I try to run systems checks through Lenovo software. It has also crashed during updates.

I can see lots of people are veiwing this thread so please post if you have a solution...

Kind regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors