GB

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 4

SL510 hangs at boot logo screen

2018-07-09, 18:49 PM
  • Hi,
    My SL510 will not boot past the ThinkPad / Intel logo. The keyboard is completely unresponsive so cannot press any function key to interrupt normal startup to try access bios or access repair options. The USB mouse briefly lights up as power is registered at port but then goes out.

I was not last person to use it and unfortunately rest of the family are IT illiterate so they've no idea if can remember if it had issues when shutting down etc.

• So far I have:

• Removed external power & tried on mains only.
    Removed mains and tried only on battery power.
    Removed hard disk, booted to see any complaints
    Removed RAM, swapped it around and used only 1 RAM board in both slots. It beeped unhappily when RAM not present but made no difference.

•  

Nothing has made a difference. At moment fan is running whilst sat at boot logo but will often just stop dead at same time the screen appears. Certainly does if cover is off.

Help!
    Thanks

Solved! See the solution
Options

10505 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39291 Signins

406387 Page Views

• Views: 406387
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: SL510 hangs at boot logo screen

2018-07-10, 4:12 AM

Check the USB ports. Bent pins can cxause this.  Usually the black tab is broken when this is the problem.  If that is the case, try to straighten the pins with something non-metalic, like a toothpick.  You need to get it so that 2 pins aren't touching each othere.  If you can straighten the pins, it will work if you don't try to use the ports.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

07-18-2016

GB

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2018-07-10, 7:20 AM

OK will do thanks. I only have 1 happy USB port with another being temperamental if it works or not so it's very possible whomever used it last had been heavy handed trying to get them to work.  Thanks for quick reply,appreciated 

Options

4 Posts

07-18-2016

GB

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2018-07-10, 17:46 PM

Waheeey!  RichK you're THE man!  One of ports had indeed had all 4 pins mashed into plate. Not touching each other but connected none the less and once I'd bent them back up all is great.  Replying on pc now. 

Embarrassed to state I've been in Apps Support donkey years but not come across that before.  My excuse is it's not an application issue!

Thanks again. 

Rich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save