AT

3 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 1 of 6

Strange fan behavior on Thinkpad L490

2019-10-21, 15:05 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a Thinkpad L490. It works fine - in general - but the fan behavior is quite strange: If you run a stress test (e.g. Prime95) the fan stays off most of the time. It turns on occasionally, only to turn off again after a few minutes (with the stress test still running). That means that the CPU is throttled most of the time :/

Latest BIOS and all Lenovo drivers are installed.

I tried to manually control the fan using TPFanControl. Manually setting the fan to one of the higher fan levels (>= 4) works fine (although they are quite noisy).

However, the fan stays off when trying to set a low fan level from 0-3. It makes a short noise and the displayed RPM go up for a moment, but it does not actually even start running on those levels.

Is this normal for the Thinkpad L490? Or could this be a hardware problem of my device?

Thanks!

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Strange fan behavior on Thinkpad L490

2019-12-06, 13:24 PM

Hi there!

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

What type of noise are you hearing from the fan? Are you hearing wind or rattling noise? If you're hearing rattling noise from the fan and it's throttled most of the time even not using any application it's possible that issue is likely to be hardware related.​

You may reach our phone support team for further assistance.

Phone list

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

0 Posts

02-02-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-02-03, 11:51 AM

I experience the same behavior with my ThinkPad L490. In BIOS setup, the fan seems to work properly, starting to run at a low speed after some time. As soon as the OS is running or even in the UEFI diagnostics tool, the fan will not start, even under load.

As lennyovo2 described, manual fan control is only effective with levels >= 4. With levels 0 to 3, the fan does not spin slowly as expected, and as is the case in BIOS setup. Level 4, however, is already quite high and therefore noisy. There is no rattling noise, just wind noise.

As the fan is capable of running slowly in BIOS setup, this does not appear to be a hardware issue. Still, it would be nice to have the fan controlled automatically and also run at lower speeds.

Is there a way to solve this problem? Thank you in advance!

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-02-04, 17:15 PM

Try to perform a clean boot where it starts with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your laptop. Please follow the steps here.

You may also check the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc to check CPU usage.

If there is a graphical intensive program running, like a game or photoshop, and the CPU usage is over 50%; it is normal for the fan to produce noise.

Fan speed is controlled by the temperature control system, which can adjust the fan speed according to host heat volume.
If CPU usage is below 50%, and there is no graphical intensive program running, try the following steps.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

0 Posts

02-02-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-02-04, 19:54 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry if the problem did not become clear: The temperature control system does not control the fan speed sufficiently. As lennyovo2 described, the fan stays off most of the time, even when the system is under heavy load. This problem occurs both when the OS is running and even when performing hardware tests with the UEFI diagnostics tool provided by the BIOS. Only in BIOS setup, the fan seems to be running adequately. A workaround to start the fan (as soon as the CPU gets warm) is manual fan control, which also does not work satisfactorily.

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2020

DE

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:Strange fan behavior on Thinkpad L490

2020-04-26, 21:04 PM

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. My L490 is getting so hot, I cannot use it while having it on my lap. Most of the time the fan doesn't even turn on. When it does, once in a while, it spins up and turns off after 2 seconds or so. I installed a third party fan control software which allowed to manually adjust the fan levels. I see the same fan behavior as scimansix: On levels 0 to 4 the fan is at 0 RPM. On levels 5 to 7 at max. speed of 4200 RPM, which is quite weird.

Also, I think this issue might be related to the problems described in this post, regarding battery life and system temperature:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series-Laptops/Thinkpad-L490-get-warm-and-battery-life-is-less-that-half-as-advertised/m-p/4550941

Any advice?

Best regards!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete