Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlenAffric
Paper Tape
Views: 1,794
Message 1 of 12

System Restore Problems

I had some issues recently with my Thinkpad R61i. I had set up a wireless router and it caused no end of problems which I won't go into (unless someone thinks it will be helpful). During this period, I tried to do a system restore but no matter which restore point I tried, no changes were made. I had decided that I would perform a factory reset anyway, to fix all the other issues I was having, so I didn't let that bother me too much and when I had the time, and had backed up everything I needed to, I went ahead with the factory reset.

Finally my laptop was running really well again! As a precaution, I decided that I would re-install my programs gradually, giving a little time between each install to make sure that I felt that the system was still running well and there were no obvious issues before going on to install the next program. This all took place over a period of maybe two weeks or so and each time I installed a program, I set a restore point before doing so just in case I felt the need to roll back to how it was before that particular install.

A few weeks down the line, I installed something which just wouldn't run by clicking on it's shortcut or any other method. I decided to get rid of it and restore to before I installed it. Once again, no restore points would work and now my laptop seems to be running very sluggish again and even locks up briefly, fairly regularly.

I am just about to upgrade the memory (I have 2x512 at the moment and plan to replace these with 1x1GB and 1x2GB) which I hope will improve the overall performance which, to be honest, I am pretty disappointed with and have been ever since I bought laptop, but I am concerned with this system restore issue which really needs to be resolved asap as this should be a straight forward operation and it worries me that it doesn't work.

TIA

GlenAffric

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I've used restore points before and they're pretty straight forward anyway so I can't see how I could be doing anything wrong.

MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 1,780
Message 2 of 12

Re: System Restore Problems

The problem is not the laptop itself, first of all. What applications have you installed on this unit? It sounds like there is a program or a possible virus/worm you might have accidently installed, and it is prohibiting you from using system restore. Your unit is getting infected for sure. Do you have an antivirus program on your machine? I would  disconnect wireles and/or the ethernet cable first, boot the unit in safe mode (F8), then run the antivirus program.

I hope this will get things started in the right direction for you. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,767
Message 3 of 12

GlenAffric, welcome to the forum,

your system may not be infected, I've seen loads of ThinkPads which couldn't run windows system restore. You should try running a system restore in safe mode. This usually works with no problems.

To get into safe mode you need to start tapping the F8 button as soon as the boot splash screen dissapears - you must be quick.

Hope this helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

GlenAffric
Paper Tape
Views: 1,766
Message 4 of 12

Thanks Mark.

Ok. I tried what you suggested but no luck. I have a trial version of Zone Alarm Extreme Security right now which is just about to expire. I booted up in safe mode but my intellipoint wouldn't work. The pad doesn't work either so I use buttons to navigate around. I tried to openZone Alarm to run a scan but it would only open the first dialogue box telling me that my trial was about to expire and giving me the option of buying or continuing the trial.

Whilst I could jump between choices, I couldn't actually make a choice so I tried system restore whilst still in safe mode but that didn't work either. so, I restarted and used the Thinkvantage button instead. From there I was able to make use of the Symantec system on the recovery partition (I assume) and ran a scan using that instead. No viruses were found.

I rebooted as normal and tried system restore again. The first thing to note was that there was now only one restore point available which had been set by the system when I checked my battery yesterday via a program downloaded from Lenovo. I was surprised at this as I would have thought that it would have stored several restore points and there certainly had been more than this avaiable to me before (though I was unable to use them).There were some set by the system when installing Windows updates and, as I explained in my first post, some set manually by me as a safeguard.

Anyway, I decided just to try the point from yesterday, just as a test. This time it worked, but I suppose that if you are right, it might be the case that the virus will let me use restore points from any time after it was installed but not from before. Do you think this is right?

I'm not sure what to do now but I will use Zone Alarm to carry out another scan though I can't see that this will make any difference since it has already scanned my machine and found nothing.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

GlenAffric
Paper Tape
Views: 1,765
Message 5 of 12

Thanks Andy,

I was busy replying when your message arrived I think. If you read through it, you will see that I did try this but I couldn't get  anything to run. Why would my mouse pad and intellipoint be disabled in safe mode?

lewbobski
SCSI Port
Views: 1,653
Message 6 of 12

I am having the same problem with my R61i with XP pro. System Restore has never worked. It will show a few, recent restore points, but when I try to restore i get an error message that windows couldn't restore to that point. I have plenty of space on my hard drive.

Yesterday I bought a new, larger drive and loaded it with the operating system from CDs that I had made. After that arduous process I created a restore point, downloaded AVG free virus scan. This morning I tried restoring to the pre AVG point to see if System Restore would work on a clean drive and had no luck. The only change to the original operating system was the AVG.

Any ideas?  Lew

I know just enough to be dangerous!
ovonello
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,441
Message 7 of 12

A virus protection software can be the reason why System Restore cannot work. At least Norton Antivirus does not allow System Restore to be done in the default settings. You have to uncheck the box "prohibit tampering with Norton" (I don't know the text in the English version). After restoring, remember to check the box again.

Olli

GlenAffric
Paper Tape
Views: 1,427
Message 8 of 12

I don't actually have an anti virus program installed right now and I can't remember if I did at that time but as far as Norton is concerned, I'd have far more to worry about if I was using that rubbish than being unable to use Sytem Restore. I cannot understand how Norton are still in business because whenever I have had the misfortune to use their products I have had problems, major problems, right from the word go!

Anyway, as I said, I have no anti-virus right now and I tried a System Restore yesterday as it happens and it wouldn't work. I think it is something else, maybe specific to the thinkpad as was suggested by another contributor here, which is the issue. Someone from Lenovo needs to clarify this!

lewbobski
SCSI Port
Views: 1,424
Message 9 of 12

Glen, You are absolutely right about someone from Lenovo clarifying. Lenovo won't take responsibility for this issue, which I have never had with another XP computer and my family has had 4 or 5 XP's with system restore. The feature has worked fine on all of the others. I called tech support a few months after I got this computer and they said it was a software problem and they couldn't do anything and weren't responsible.

It is time for Lenovo to solve this problem or supply us with a free aftermarket restore program.

Lew

I know just enough to be dangerous!
GlenAffric
Paper Tape
Views: 1,418
Message 10 of 12

Lew.

Considering the fact that more than one of us seem to be experiencing issues with System Restore on Thinkpads which we never experience anywhere else, it is time someone like MarkATL, a previous contributor, decided to take a more serious look at this. Lenovo, like most companies, will dodge responsibility in order to make life easier for them. This does not help those of us who have invested money in, what will be for most of us, a working tool which is vital to our livelyhood. People do not buy Thinkpads because they think they look look nice or for the spec. We pay more for what we get in terms of system performance because we assume we are paying for what we are assured is the build quality and reliability inherent in the Thinpad design.

Lonovo have our money, but we have a product which is not able to perform an important (in my humble opinion) maintenance procedure. This is not a toy for me. I bought a Lenovo because I need it for work (I use it to commission lighting control systems so it's not just for web acccess, e-mailing, letter writing and doing accounts on. It's an important tool) and Thinkpads have a very good reputation. Does anyone know if the old IBM's had this problem?

Come on Lenovo! What are you going to do about this?

GlenAffric

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors