Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobiestew
What's DOS?
Views: 2,606
Message 1 of 5

Thank You for "Blue Button!"

Smiley Very Happy

I am more than thrilled with the R51 Thinkpad I bought 3 years ago (from then IBM- now Lenovo).  I don't know where to tell of my experience- so I'll use this forum to express my delight with a very positive outcome. 

My R51 has always been fine- no broken buttons, no bad pixels, dependable backup to desktop pc.  I also use it for a small home-based business (Accounting)

I'm not sure what happened- my daughter updated an IM program- may have been coincidence.  A critical error message appeared and windows shut down.  Then, whenever we tried to turn the R51 back on, Windows would attempt to load and was not able to, an endless loop would occur of windows not able to load, a request to start in one of the Safe modes or Last Known Good Configuration screen appeared, with an attempt to then load Windows again, etc.  The power button would not stop the loop, the only way to stop it would be to remove the battery or punch the "little blue button"  So- I pushed the button, and PC Doctor appeared. I wasn't really certain what to do, so I ran Diagnostic tests, and it it informed me there was a problem verifying Sectors (About 200 of them) 

Attempts to turn the computer on again would result in the endless loop commencing again. 

So- after reconciling myself to the fact that I would have to buy a new laptop, I hit the blue button one last time and selected "Restore Factory Settings"  It warned me all data would be lost- it seemed lost anyway, so I proceeded. 

I am now happily using the Thinkpad R51 again- it reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP - I was able to reinstall all drivers and programs- from on-line and from disks.  I had my data backed-up so I restored all my accounting info and everything is back up and working fine again!  I am telling friends and relatives about the durability of this little computer and the "miracle" of the little Blue Button!  Thanks!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,604
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thank You for "Blue Button!"

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the blue button is a great idea and it works, great to see you got everything back on"par".

You metioned that there was a problem verifying sectors, may I suggest you run diagnostics again to check that your hard drive is OK. If it reports the same again I would concider changing it as the same problem may re-occur and maybe leave you stranded.

Also if you haven't created recovery cds, or taken an image of the hard drive, I would suggest doing so, (just in case). 

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,599
Message 3 of 5

I second andyP's suggestions. Test the hard drive and make a recovery set.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
TBolt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,453
Message 4 of 5

It's a nice story.  Glad to hear things worked out, but I hope he came back to see your advice re: re-checking the hard drive.

Is he talking about the 'Acces IBM' button?  I never used it.

Cheers,

TBolt
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,446
Message 5 of 5

I hope so too.
Yes he is referring to the access ibm button, ot think vantage button on newer TPs.

If you've never used it, be happy = no problems Smiley Wink

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors