Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-31-2014

Bucharest

8 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad L420 problems! Windows 7 problems! Lenovo support problems! and so on...

2014-03-31, 11:55 AM

My company has bought 150 ThinkPad's, L420 model, with Windows 7 Pro OA installed but NO recovery DVD.

The problem comes when we had to reinstall some of the laptops, because we used 4 different types of Windows 7 Pro 64bits kits (downloaded from MSDN), all of them NOT willing to accept the serial no. from the sticker under the battery.

We tried to contact Lenovo Customer Support here in Romania, using the contacts we find on Lenovo.com: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/feedback/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613. The surprise is that the phone number is NOT IN USE.

So:

- we got 150 paper weights for the price of 150 laptops.

- we payed for Windows 7 Pro and we got almost nothing.

- we trusted Lenovo to help us after sale and we were wrong.

Now, my question is:

Do you think we will ever buy again or advise someone to buy something from Lenovo?

Options

8968 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77767 Signins

2226805 Page Views

• Views: 2226805
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad L420 problems! Windows 7 problems! Lenovo support problems! and so on...

2014-03-31, 14:58 PM

Hello and welcome,

When activation fails are you offered an automated phone option?

Do the recovery media sets you made when you got the machines work as they should?

How about making a set from a working machine and trying it on the failing machines.  Does that work?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

03-31-2014

Bucharest

8 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: ThinkPad L420 problems! Windows 7 problems! Lenovo support problems! and so on...

2014-04-01, 6:02 AM

Hello,

Yes, it offers me phone activation, of course, but imagine doing that 150 times...

Recovery media isn't available. No CD/DVD came with the laptops and there is no recovery partition on the HDD.

I have an image of an working machine, but I still have to activate Windows, isn't I?

Options

8968 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77767 Signins

2226805 Page Views

• Views: 2226805
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-04-01, 13:32 PM

Did these machines have a Lenovo image installed initially?  Strange that they don't have recovery paritions.  Normally there is a way to make your own recovery DVDs using Rescue and Recovery.  That's why no recovery media is shipped.

My best suggestion is to try that image from a working machine and see if it requires activation.

BTW, what you describe is completely normal.  In my experience any Win 7 ThinkPad will require phone activation when using the CoA sticker key and non-Lenovo install media.  At least in the USA it's an automated process.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms