Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ctsmith02
Paper Tape
Views: 2,594
Message 1 of 9

ThinkPad R51 no netwrok controller and no wireless card showing in device manager!

Had to reformat computer using Windows XP Pro.. I had no driver disk for this laptop. It is a R51 and the model number is 2888-4AU. I get yellow ? marks beside network controller and it does not show an ethernet card either. I need some help and have tried several things.. Nothing is working for me, in serious need of some help, I have never had this problem on any other laptops I have owned and worked on.

Guru
Views: 2,559
Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkPad R51 no netwrok controller and no wireless card showing in device manager!

Welcome to the forum!

Your LAN card:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54046

After downloading the driver, you must go into C>Drivers>Win>Ethernet and run the setup file from there

Your wireless card (Intel 2200BG):

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6hwc05ww.zip

C>Drivers>Win>Wlanint

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
kellynichole
Paper Tape
Views: 2,101
Message 3 of 9

Re: ThinkPad R51 no netwrok controller and no wireless card showing in device manager!

Hello, I have the same computer and same problem. Although I can't install those items you suggested because I have no network adapters folder to expand in device manager. Help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,080
Message 4 of 9

@kellynichole wrote:

Hello, I have the same computer and same problem. Although I can't install those items you suggested because I have no network adapters folder to expand in device manager. Help!

Any unknown devices in device manager?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

kellynichole
Paper Tape
Views: 2,073
Message 5 of 9

Yes, there is a yellow question mark next to "Other devices" and listed under it with a ? and ! next to it in yellow is ethernet controller, network controller, PCI modem, unknown device, video controller, video controller (vga compatible).

Kelly

kellynichole
Paper Tape
Views: 2,067
Message 6 of 9

So I have gone to the Lenovo site for my computer to download the appropriate drivers and have extracted them onto the computer. But then the directions say to then go into device manager and to.....

1. Expand the Network adapters category.
  2. Right-click Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection or Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection under Network adapters and click Properties.

But the network adapters is not listed and I can't find intel pro/1000...anywhere (not that it would be listed here, but I really have no idea).   So now what? Help, please!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,045
Message 7 of 9

In your situation, I think you should be using the "clean install" instructions, not the "update install" instructions that you seem to be using. Either the "found new hardware wizard" or "ethernet controller in other devices" technique.

Look a little farther down in the installation text.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

kellynichole
Paper Tape
Views: 2,018
Message 8 of 9

It worked, thank you so much! And in appreciation my first born shall be known as zoltanthegypsy Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,004
Message 9 of 9

Excellent!  Do you think her friends will call her "Zoey" or "Gypsy"?

Really - a kudo would have been sufficient Smiley Wink

Glad to hear you're on your way,

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors