Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zeikos
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 1 of 15

[Thinkpad L460] 6 Cell 48Wh Battery at 58 % Capacity after two years

Hi, i bought my Thinkpad almost two years ago, and during the last couple of days i noticed that Batterybar shows only 27Wh of charged Capacity instead of the 40Wh some days before. I started Lenovo Vantage, but it shows the same values. I started a recalibration, it ended successful, but the capacity stays the same. When windows shows 0 % battery, the system still runs more than an hour after indicating no power.

A battery-report is attached, at the chapter Battery life estimates you can see the drastically shorter estimated runtime.

Can someone help me?

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 329
Message 2 of 15

Re: [Thinkpad L460] 6 Cell 48Wh Battery at 58 % Capacity after two years

You should keep the laptop running without the power cord attached. Let the battery fully drain. Once it does, press the power button - The laptop may turn on. If it does turn on, let it run until it shuts down again. Now, click the power button and hold it for about a minute.

Now, plug the adapter in and open up the laptop, it should have hopefully regained a good calibration. Let me know what happens.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 321
Message 3 of 15

@Zeikos wrote:

Hi, i bought my Thinkpad almost two years ago, and during the last couple of days i noticed that Batterybar shows only 27Wh of charged Capacity instead of the 40Wh some days before. I started Lenovo Vantage, but it shows the same values. I started a recalibration, it ended successful, but the capacity stays the same. When windows shows 0 % battery, the system still runs more than an hour after indicating no power.

A battery-report is attached, at the chapter Battery life estimates you can see the drastically shorter estimated runtime.

Can someone help me?

Welcome to the community.

There is no battery report attached for anyone to look at.

Take a look at your report again, and see how many battery cycles it shows. Batteries are considered consummable, and if you've put a lot of cycles on it over two years, then some significant wear can be expected.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Guru
Views: 312
Message 4 of 15

NateS, I don't think that's the case here. This person's computer stays open for more than an hour on 0% battery, this shows it's less of a battery issue and more of a software issue.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 309
Message 5 of 15

@LelouchV wrote:
NateS, I don't think that's the case here. This person's computer stays open for more than an hour on 0% battery, this shows it's less of a battery issue and more of a software issue.

Still want to know how many cycles are on that battery.

I've used and serviced ThinkPads for 20 years now. I've seen some heavily cycled batteries, and some quirkiness associated with them.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Zeikos
Paper Tape
Views: 303
Message 6 of 15

Sorry for late posting guys, but the content filter blocked the html of the battery report.

Strange thing too: There is no cycle count shown in the report, so I can't say at the moment, how many cycles the battery has.

Can i update/change something, so that the count is read correctly by Windows? Or can i access some more detailed Information on Linux?

I am discharging the Thinkpad at the Moment.

Guru
Views: 301
Message 7 of 15

I doubt Linux will have more conclusive data. It is odd that it doesn't have a cycle count in the report. However, I suspect the issue will disappear once you discharge.

For the sake of crossing every t, do you usually keep the power adapter plugged in, or do you constantly find yourself needing to unplug throughout the day?
Zeikos
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 8 of 15

Mixed, i'm student and used it often on the way, with pluging it in in the afternoon. But most of the time it was unplugged.

Guru
Views: 287
Message 9 of 15

I see. Final question, how low does the battery usually get before you plug it back in?

Let me know when it's done discharging and what happens.
Zeikos
Paper Tape
Views: 285
Message 10 of 15

20-30 Percent, since i am avoiding sudden shutdowns.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors