Did you mean: 
Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,205
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad R400 not charging battery

Hello,

I just joined the Forum.

I have a Thinkpad R400 that has recently stopped charging its battery.

More details.

Model 7440

1 Gb disk, dual boot Win7 and LinuxMint 18.

Recently upgraded RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb. New RAM is recognized.

The "results" are the same with or with out Dock attached.

"AC Power Status" LED remains dark.

New battery, former battery not charging either (old battery causes "Battery Status" LED to flash orange).

New battery lights up Battery Status LED, and hovering over battery icon will show percentage of charge and not charging.

New AC power supply, both new and old, read 20 volts DC at the yellow barrel connector.

Will not boot by AC power supply only (battery removed, error message about low battery and powers off)

I tried the AC and battery removed and 10 one second pushes on Power Button followed by holding Power Button down for 30 seconds, no change.

I removed (under Win7) the Microsoft ACPI and Battery drivers under Device Manager. no change.

Battery (new or old) does not charge when laptop is powered off and AC power supply connected.

Problem may have begun several weeks ago when I closed the laptop without shutting down and put it in my backpack.

A week or so later, its battery was dead when I pulled it out to use it again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fordy2

exit8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,200
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad R400 not charging battery

DC power jack gone bad?

Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,197
Message 3 of 10

I wonder that too.

Is the DC Power jack attached to the motherboard? 

I didn't see a separate charging board listed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Thanks for the quick response!

exit8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,194
Message 4 of 10

@Fordy2 wrote:

I wonder that too.

Is the DC Power jack attached to the motherboard? 

I didn't see a separate charging board listed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Thanks for the quick response!

Not sure. I don't have this laptop.

But there is a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFgWnuRZAao

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,173
Message 5 of 10

I assume that when you say "with and without dock attached", it means that the AC adapter is plugged into the dock when it is attached.  Does the power light ever come on?  Is the new battery genuine or aftermarket.  Many aftermarket batteries are only good as paper-weights.  It is certainly possible that the charging circuit (motherboard).  I might try pulling the main battery and the CMOS battery and pressing the power button a couple of times to reset it completely.  DON'T do this if you have a BIOS (supervisor) password that you do not know.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,159
Message 6 of 10

The DC Power jack on that model is held to the motherboard by a bracket and a screw (see parts f and b on page 150 of the HWMM)  and removal is shown on page 126.     The connector wires are red  (+) , black  (-) and blue is the sensor wire, which I believe goes to the center pin.

Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,145
Message 7 of 10

@richk wrote:

I assume that when you say "with and without dock attached", it means that the AC adapter is plugged into the dock when it is attached. 

Yes, the AC adapter is plugged into the dock when the dock is attached, and plugged into the laptop when the dock is not attached.

The power light comes on for about a second after pressing the Power button.

The new battery is an aftermarket bought through NewEgg.

I have not tried pulling the CMOS battery.

Thank you

Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,144
Message 8 of 10

Thank you, I'll have to dig deeper into the laptop than when I changed the RAM, to find out about the Power jack connection.
Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,035
Message 9 of 10

Today another new battery arrived, this one is different, it has more cells inside, and was advertised as being a replacement for the R400 battery.

The laptop still wouldn't charge it.

A web search produced a procedure to measure the amount of voltage the laptop presents to the battery for charging.

This is done without a battery installed and measuring the voltage at the battery contacts.

Instead of 3.3 Volts as was suggested, I measured 0.18 volts.  So, what does that tell me?  

Is the 3.3 volt charging circuit dead?

Can the laptop have a setting that turned off the charging circuit?

If it is a bad charging circuit, is it part of the motherboard, or a separate circuit?

I saw online Walmart (of all places!) offered used R400 motherboards for $14!

Remember, I did measure 20 volts at the barrel connector of both my wall supplies.

Fordy2
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 797
Message 10 of 10

I replaced the motherboard yesterday, with IBM p/n 60Y3747.  (Purchased from Freeland Digital through Walmart)

In the process, I broke the wires that lead to the right rear USB port. But the other 2 still work.

It will be too much work to replace that one, but replacements are available.

I ended up with 7 leftover screws, and can't find the M3 screw that secures the HDD cover Smiley Frustrated.

It is charging the replacement batteries now.  One of the replacement batteries doesn't fully seat.

My advice to anyone who would attempt to replace the motherboard.

a. Find online the IBM/Lenovo repair manual for the R400/T400 and follow the disassembly procedures.

Either print out the pages describing the disassembly or have another computer there to view the pages.

b. Get a 2 week pill dispenser and as you remove each piece, put each of its screws into a compartment of the dispenser, and note what part that compartment is for.  Put the screws into the compartments in a left to right sequence and reverse the sequence for re-assembly.

c. Use an grounded ESD mat and wrist strap.

d. Allot yourself at LEAST a couple hours with a clear head.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors