Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alevesque
Paper Tape
Views: 7,420
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad R61i + advance mini dock problem with DVI

I have a thinkpad R61i model 8932 attached to the advance mini dock 2504-10u. I can't get the DVI connector on the dock to work. I have change the BIOS display setting to INTERNAL and BOTH but still no success with my dvi external display. I know that some R61 can use the DVI see this note from lenovo : http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS107-702&appname=lenovous&language=en and reading from the web i can see that some other model ( T and Z )can do this. Any help ?
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,417
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad R61i + advance mini dock problem with DVI

Hi alevesque, welcome to the forum,

are you using presentation director? Fn F7 is the short-cut.
However this document says;

Quote: "Note: Integrated graphics models support all docking functions except DVI-D."

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,295
Message 3 of 20

I've done a little more research on this, and asked a few questions here and there.

The R61i, which has integrated graphics, is as far as I can see the only TP which can be docked on the mini dock but does not support the DVI port. I have discovered that this is not a hardware limitation, but a BIOS limitation. For instance T-series with integrated graphics have DVI BIOS support as do other R-Series.

So, here's the question; today people who purchase a notebook together with a docking solution are very likely going to use an external screen, preferably attached by DVI, why did Lenovo decide that these dockable TPs would have no DVI support and do they plan to correct this minor, but for some important, discrepancy?

oh yeh, and when please?

Message Edited by andyP on 01-29-2008 08:35 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 7,284
Message 4 of 20

Possibly the integrated graphics just do not support the DVI output? That would be an issue for the graphics chip manufacturer, not Lenovo. Isn't the R61i an midrange budget unit? You have to cut costs somewhere. If you need DVI output you might consider getting a R61i with discrete graphics.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,258
Message 5 of 20

That's why I researched it. According to LPCS, (Lenovo Partner Contact Services), here in Germany, the R61 14"W and all T - series with the X3100 graphics support DVI. The R61 and R61i 15" and 15,4"W do not because of a different BIOS.
The R61i is low budget because of the cpu used, obviously on those that are not dockable DVI support is irrelevant in BIOS.
The not dockable came onto the market first, then the dockable. I am presuming that the BIOS is the same and that maybe a slight modification could resolve this matter.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,100
Message 6 of 20

Its actually a bios limitation, because your laptop LCD monitor actually receive digital signal rather than analog signal... also the new macbook also uses x3100 graphics card.. but these macbook do have DVI-D output
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 7,091
Message 7 of 20

wjli2

Thankyou for your confirmation.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,081
Message 8 of 20

no prob.... but i guess this problem do seriously sucks....
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,425
Message 9 of 20

bumpety ..bump Smiley Tongue

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

FuriouS
What's DOS?
Views: 4,718
Message 10 of 20

I was told by an IBM support rep that the DVI out was not supported by the intel chipset.  I argued the point, but the rep was unable to hear any data not included in his flow chart for calls it seems.

Here is the official reply from Intel support on the integrated chipset for the R61i.

" The Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family does support natively VGA and DVI, however, the usage of a docking station is considered an adapter, if there is another device in between your monitors and the integrated graphics controller, it will interfere with the onboard graphic controller’s ability to properly detect the presence of your monitors."

This is a  Lenovo problem, not a chipset problem.  I am hoping for a BIOS update that allows the dockable R61i laptops to use the DVI port.  The current functionality seems to be focused on the non docking models.  They did not deem it neccisary to include the docking DVI out for the m

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors