Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imanym15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,025
Message 1 of 16

Thinkpad Yoga L380 glass cracked

I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga L380 about a month ago. Within a months time the screen cracked. Please, don't ask how, I have no idea. All I know is that I opened my laptop while waiting for my son and noticed a crack that spread from the bottom out to the upper areas. I would like to purchase a replacement screen, but I am having the hardest time finding the part. Does anyone know where I can find this part and where I could get it. 

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L380 Yoga M27.

Oh, the machine is usable, a matter of fact I am posting this using the laptop.

Guru
Views: 2,008
Message 2 of 16

Re: Thinkpad Yoga L380 glass cracked

Have you tried parts lookup?  Sorry if you did this already.  Don't post you serila number here/online BUT if you input it at the below website it should provide the parts your laptop was built with.

Then you can buy at the Lenovo  Encompass store or other places.

https://lenovo.encompass.com/

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-l-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

imanym15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,998
Message 3 of 16

Thanks, I will try this. I did try this prior to using this forum. I was not really confident that it was puling up my parts because it was showing parts for other models. It also, included other screen models and the descriptions are not as clear as I woulld prefer. 

However, your help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Again!!

Guru
Views: 1,988
Message 4 of 16

You're welcome!  Also are you saying when you put in your serial number it showed different panels like resolution?  OR just different manufacturers of panels?  For my X1Y3 if i just put in my model number it gives 6 panel choices such as as fhd, hdr qhd or qhd.  BUT when i put in my serial number it only provides 2 panel choices.  BOTH are hdr qhd.

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

imanym15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,970
Message 5 of 16

I have the Yoga Thinkpad L380 20M7. You are absolutely correct, I went back to the page to mimic your method. When I put in my serial number, much like you described, I was able to narrow my results to 2 options, (which by the way seem to be the same). 

Additionally, I found 2 model screens which seems to include an optional screen that will fit. 

I was able to find and order for the screen last night. I am a freelance software solution architect, and currently in contract. I have had to purchase 3 laptops while I decide what to do with this machine. Yes, three. I am very particular and each laptop had an issue that required me to return it. I finally, came to the conclusion to try and find the screen and continue to use this laptop with the cracked screen. I started to venture closer and closer to spending what I paid for this machine to meet my requirements.  This is an excellent machine, in size, performance and in upgrade options. I use some of the most popular enterprise level software and make use of Virtual Machines tremendously and I had my machine upgraded to be able to handle such demands. Not as much as the x1 but it ran me $1500 which I was trying to avoid spending again, (eats into my profit margin). Not purchasing the protection plan was probably one of the worst ideas I have made so far. I never expected something like tehis to happen. 

Your input has provided me with some comfort. 

Thanks Again!

Guru
Views: 1,966
Message 6 of 16

When you put in just the model number it gives all options that it could have come with but when you put in serial number it should provide what your laptop came with.  In addition it may list compatable parts.  Lenovo sources from multiple suppliers.  For example it may come with AUO or JDI screen so they are listed as substitutes.

You sound like you know what you are doing so below may be redundant but just in case other people have the same problem I am posting additional resources.

Also the below may help you.

http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW1820/FOF/RTPW1820_ThinkPadL380_REM_FRU_16_LCDUnit.mp4

http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW1820/FOF/RTPW1820_ThinkPadL380_REM_FRU_17_LCDBezel.mp4

http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW1820/FOF/RTPW1820_ThinkPadL380_REM_FRU_18_LCDPanel.mp4

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/l380_l380yoga_s2-3rdgen_and_s2yoga3rdgen_hmm_en.pdf

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

AndreasN1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,391
Message 7 of 16

Hey @imanym15,  

do you happen to remember where the crack was?

I had the same thing going on, like you described:
All I know is that I opened my laptop while waiting for my son and noticed a crack that spread from the bottom out to the upper areas. 

My crack originated in the upper part a little to the right of the camera.
I wonder if it's maybe something that is pushing on the glass from behind it?

Also: Can you tell me what part you ended up bying - the part ID? I can't seem to find the right one on the pages linked in the responses. 

IMG_20190118_103016727_HDR.jpg

Much obliged

Andreas

imanym15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,363
Message 8 of 16

Hello AndreasN1,

I have never been able to find the replacement screen. Either it was out of stock or the wrong screen was shipped. I finally gave up and purchased another brand laptop. Lenovo wanted $600.00 to repair, which I thought and still think is a rip off, especially since I paid $1000 for the unit to begin with. The incident put a very bad taste in my mouth for Lenovo products, so I am back with HP line of business products. Sorry...

imanym15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,326
Message 9 of 16

Sorry I didn't answer your question...My crack started at the bottom left corner and spread like a three branch towards the upper right of the screen.
AndreasN1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,312
Message 10 of 16

hey @imanym15,

thank you for your responses!

so i guess the crack didn't originate at the same position; i thought maybe there was a piece behind that glass that was too close to it and pushed a crack in it on light pressure. guess not

regarding the replacement part: i couldnt find one either in the official shops. - i found this: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Lenovo/THINKPAD%20L380%20YOGA%2020M7%20SERIES/

but they are out of stock Smiley Frustrated .

and obviously lenovo is not gonna give me an estimate on the repair before they look at it for 40€. which is ridiculous because hey you know what: the display is broken. i don't need an "expert" to tell me so. anyhow, i found a german repair shop that wants 200€ for the whole repair (including the new display) apparently. which strikes me as odd when lenovo takes 600€. still gonna do it i think.

out of curiosity, which HP did you get? I'm assuming you chose a model that was similar to the L380 Yoga regarding the specs?

thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors