Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serenaz
Paper Tape
Views: 355
Message 1 of 3

Trying to run Factory Rescue & Recovery discs to install new drive on R51

I had a hard drive fail in my old R51.  I purchased the 'R&R with Rapid Restore'  XP discs for this system about a year ago.  I'm not sure which version is on them, but disc 1/1 shows March 2004, then disc 1/7 shows January 2005. 

I've installed a 100gb Seagate drive and boot from Disc 1/1.  I go through the prompts to do the Restore Factory Contents, it runs for a few minutes and then I get an "error during initialization' message and it fails. 

Things I've done:  'quick formatted' the drive on another XP machine, changed the BIOS to boot from CD drive first and have tried setting the "IBM Predesktop Area"  to both 'normal' and 'disabled' and disabled the Security Chip, but I still get the error.

Is there something else I need to do to the hard drive before trying to run the restore? 

TIA and Merry Christmas!  

serenaz
Paper Tape
Views: 330
Message 2 of 3

Re: Trying to run Factory Rescue & Recovery discs to install new drive on R51

I also tried a different hard drive with the same result.

serenaz
Paper Tape
Views: 292
Message 3 of 3

Re: Trying to run Factory Rescue & Recovery discs to install new drive on R51

I found another post, which I'd missed in my first searches, that specified that the new drive must be 'virgin' and not formatted and to use the 'KillDisk' program to prep the drive properly. I did that and am not on disk 2, so hopefully it will keep working!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors