Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dshuffin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,283
Message 1 of 37

UEFI BIOS update 1.33 > 1.35 bricked my L460

Hello,

My laptop L460 has been bricked by a BIOS update from 1.33 to 1.35. I was updating it from Windows, and the update looked like it went through normally. The laptop has reboted to "DOS" screen where it updated BIOS and EC firmware, just like it should, then it rebooted again, but never booted up after that.

The screen is always black. Laptop doesn't react to "Fn" buttons, (lignts on mute, and "turn off mic" buttons don't come on).

I've tried disconnecting CMOS battery, but that didn't help.

As soon as I connect power supply the PC turns on, but stays with the black screen. It can be only turned of by a very long press on a power buuton.

Has anyone successfully updated to 1.35? It's not my first BIOS update on Thinpad (did more that 100 of those), but the first failed one, so I suspect that the Updater is somehow broken rather than me doing something wrong.

I noticed that the flasher in that "DOS" mode had year 2018 in it's copyright, while it hs been 2016 before, so I wonder could it be that Lenovo bundled incorrect flasher tool with the 1.35?

Do you have any idea if there is something that I could do to try to boot to emergency flasher, to revert to previous version, or something like that?

PJMS
Punch Card
Views: 3,220
Message 2 of 37

Re: UEFI BIOS update 1.33 > 1.35 bricked my L460

The problem described above is a carbon copy of what occurred to me after updating from v1.33 to v1.35. Pretty sure it's a problem with the updated BIOS utility/flasher.

PLEASE provide a fix for this as I'm now sitting here with a bricked laptop.

Mueller1337
What's DOS?
Views: 3,163
Message 3 of 37

I have the exact same issue with my L460.

I did the bios update as usual and after completion my laptop won’t turn on.

I spectated that the ‚new‘ bios was only the size of 32 blocks when it was flashed. 

Lenovo provide a fix please I need my laptop for studying.

PJMS
Punch Card
Views: 3,148
Message 4 of 37

Doesn't turn on at all or doesn't boot ?
franc3
Punch Card
Views: 3,116
Message 5 of 37

Same issue here right now. This is serious... A solution is needed

To give more information, after BIOS update and 1st reboot, DOS screen with big boot text that I didn't get to read, the noise from the internal fan at max speed and a sudden reboot, followed by  black screen.  Pressing on/off button switches on the laptop, but after 30 seconds it switches off by itself.

Mueller1337
What's DOS?
Views: 3,082
Message 6 of 37

Same issue here! Won’t boot at all, just black screen and and short fan spin when pressing power button. It’s just a joke that Lenovo releases new bios updates without testing them once, otherwise they would know better. Truely disappointed! Please provide a fix for this problem

franc3
Punch Card
Views: 2,994
Message 7 of 37

I can't believe we still don't have updates from Lenovo. Is anybody there reading this? Nothing to say?

I tried unplugging the cell battery for 30 mins. as read over there, but nothing happened. 

FTJF
Paper Tape
Views: 2,965
Message 8 of 37

BIOS Update to 1.35 bricked one of our L460 as well. 

Some hints to undo this (or at least disabling the download for 1.35) would be appreciated. 

Kind Regards

PJMS
Punch Card
Views: 2,962
Message 9 of 37

It's totally unacceptable that a big, corporate brand name like Lenovo, doesn't care to properly test their critical updates before a public release, especially ones that can render your computer totally unusable.

It's been 5 days since this issue was reported here and Lenovo is still silent, leaving its customers out in the rain without an explanation for a problem they have created.

Luckily, my L460 is still under warranty but this was the 1st and last time that I've purchased anything Lenovo and will go back to DELL, a brand that in 20+ years of use has always been reliable, offers a premium product, excellent user+tech. support and a lively community. Lesson learned.

PS: In the meanwhile, the crippled UEFI BIOS v1.35 update is still out there available for download and ready to make a few more victims.

dshuffin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,881
Message 10 of 37

I submitted a support request to lenovo using the only way I could find - via MTSA: https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/mtsarva/lenovo.html

After 36 hours - nobody has contacted me. That's some advanced level of support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors