Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Packfan
What's DOS?
Views: 6,522
Message 1 of 5

Windows 7 Activation/Product Key

I had to download and reload windows 7 (Professional 64 bit) after a hard drive failure.  Now I am getting an error message that I need to input the Windows 7 Product Key for activation.  No discs were shipped with my system (SL410) and there is no indication of the product key anywhere on the machine itself.  It is out of warranty so contacting Lenova directly is a pain and costly.

Where do I find the prodcut key?

Thanks.

Packfan
What's DOS?
Views: 6,592
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows 7 Activation/Product Key

Found it!  It's under the battery.

mcgteets
What's DOS?
Views: 3,333
Message 3 of 5

I'm on a ThinkPad E550.  I also need my product key but it is nowhere to be found.  Anyone have any clues?

My machine came with Windows 7 and I'd like to keep it that way.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,328
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

If your machine came with Win 7 as a downgrade from 8.x there won't be a key.

Make recovery media.  It won't need a key.  If you ever want to do a clean install, the activation procedure is pretty strange:  Understanding downgrade rights

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

anns
Paper Tape
Views: 2,874
Message 5 of 5

I have the same question.  I purchased a refurbished laptop.  After a failed, automatic upgrade to Windows 10, my hard drive crashed and I need to reinstall Windows 7 Professional.  I tried to enter the product key on the back of my laptop, but it says it is not valid.  How can I get a new product key?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors