cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harleymhs
Token Ring
Views: 25,829
Message 1 of 12

Windows XP Clean Install New Hard Drive UNKNOWN DEVICE IN DEVICE MANAGER! HELP!!!!!

Ok, I have a new SL300 and I installed a NEW Hard Drive and installed windows XP Pro CLEAN. I got ALL the drivers up and running with ONE exception. There is an UNKNOWN Device in the device manager and I can't seem to find what it does. Looks like everything works on the system. I also can't seem to get the Intel 5100 software to control my wireless card. If anyone has any ideas it would be very helpful! I ran a utility for unknown devices and that didnt find it either.
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 25,819
Message 2 of 12

Re: Windows XP Clean Install New Hard Drive UNKNOWN DEVICE IN DEVICE MANAGER! HELP!!!!!

what's the hardware ID of the device?   you can find this in device manager (start > run > devmgmt.exe).

have you installed thinkvantage system update to see if it finds the missing device?

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

harleymhs
Token Ring
Views: 25,780
Message 3 of 12

Re: Windows XP Clean Install New Hard Drive UNKNOWN DEVICE IN DEVICE MANAGER! HELP!!!!!

Yes, I ran the system updater 2 times and it still does not locate any driver for the " unknown device".  looked for DEVMGMT.EXE and windows XP cannot find this command.. Thanks for your help!! Any other sugestions?

harleymhs
Token Ring
Views: 25,778
Message 4 of 12

I think the device is : ACPI\LEN0014\5&36062500&0 IS WHAT IT SAYS WHEN I RIGHT CLICK IT IN DEVICE MANAGER.

When I run a unknown device program it tellsme it is :

VENDOR : INTEL CORP

PnpID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_20F817AA&REV_00

Class: NETWORK ( other )

OEM DEVICE : Unknown

OEM VENDOR: INTEL CORP

SYSTEM IRQ : 17, Int # A

i have an intel wireless 5100 , and it is working.. but I cant install intels software to run the card, I have to use windows wireless manage. Maybe this is the problem?

Sxooter
Token Ring
Views: 25,739
Message 5 of 12

Is the wired network interface working? Could be that maybe.
harleymhs
Token Ring
Views: 25,727
Message 6 of 12

I will try that this AM, to see if it is working... In the device manager, it shows a couple of network adapters... Ill check it.. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 25,701
Message 7 of 12

Does your ThinkPad successfully go to Hibernation/Standby/Sleep? It can be missing Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) driver.

Also, have you tried running Lenovo System Toolbox to check which device is reported to be non functional?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67520.html 

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

marmara
What's DOS?
Views: 25,626
Message 8 of 12

hi harleymhs!

same problem over here. but i miss three "basic system driver" too. no idea what it could be. i downloaded all the drivers from the support side. noone seems to match. since you actually installed it can you tell me what it is?

did you find a solution for the "unknown device"?

thanks!

best regards

marmara 

marmara
What's DOS?
Views: 25,623
Message 9 of 12

i got the basic system device. the unknow device is left. any idea?
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 25,555
Message 10 of 12

marmara, welcome to the forum.   have you tried installing thinkvantage system update as i recommended above?   typically this will find and install any missing drivers you may have.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors