cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lura
Token Ring
Views: 305
Message 1 of 8

Windows updates--to load or not to load?

My webmaster says Windows updates are useless.  He has removed several updates from my computer.  But now, I am trying to get my computer working again after a restore from Rescue and Recovery which was caused by something entirely different.

Apparently, there are no updates from Windows on my computer since early 2010....none.  Since I am not a computer geek (and my webmaster is), I'd like to get some other views on Windows updates, because I would need to install over 100 on my computer.  These are only the so-called critical updates.  So, what is the value of these critical updates I wonder?

Lura

Retired Guru
Views: 303
Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows updates--to load or not to load?

you risk all kinds of malware and other securities issues if you don't keep windows & other software up to date I don't want to say anything bad about your person but they are telling you wrong

have a look in http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Security-Malware/bd-p/Security_Malware  there is a lot of good info llook at bugbatters posts bugbatter is a security pro.

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Guru
Views: 296
Message 3 of 8

That's a tough call...

I recently received a "completely updated" T43 from a friend of mine, and that poor thing was as slow as a Ford T.

Wipe. Re-install OS from scratch. Choose which updates to install. A completely different machine altogether.

All of the Windows-running machines in my household (apart from the 701C which is an antique) are still on XP SP2 and are not getting updated anytime soon.

Haven't had a malware infection of any kind since 2003 or 2004...

That being said, for anyone not willing to go "the extra mile" and secure their system the way I do mine, having the updates installed automatically is probably the best solution, provided that they have the hardware that can tolerate the aforementioned approach...

My $0.02 only...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Lura
Token Ring
Views: 275
Message 4 of 8

Thank you for the suggestions.  Much food for thought.  I am reviewing the information you gave me carefully.

Lura

Lura
Token Ring
Views: 273
Message 5 of 8

Hi George.  Yes, one of my problems is a slow computer, and I wish I could start from scratch, but I have no boot disk.  I have the Rescue and Recovery disk only..I'm sure that Windows XP Professional is on there, but I don't want to load a restore that is from 2008. Also, I don't know how to select the appropriate updates to download and install, but I do want to learn.  I have Avast 6.0, Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes on my computer.  I took Zone Alarm off because my webmaster said that I did not need it with my router.  Thanks for any additional information.

Lura

Highlighted
Lura
Token Ring
Views: 272
Message 6 of 8

This reply was intended for GMAC-R60. Lura
Retired Guru
Views: 269
Message 7 of 8

lura wrote:
This reply was intended for GMAC-R60. Lura
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
???? don't set windows update to auto download & install if you are going to use it set it to check for updates but let me choose

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Lura
Token Ring
Views: 257
Message 8 of 8

Thanks GMAC-R60.  I will take that advice, and also looked at some of Bugbatter's posts for secuity items.

All the best,

Lura

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors