Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikey00
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,494
Message 1 of 7

Wireless Problem | BIOS mystery?

Hey guys,

First off thanks for taking your time, I hope you can help me, because I have quite a few questions.

4 days ago I bought Lenovo R400 Model:7443-21G, it was preinstalled with Windows Vista so I formatted everything and installed Windows XP pro. Strange thing noticed when rebooted computer - just right after BIOS loads itself up, bluetooth light indicator turns on but the ((|)) wireless indicator stays dark. So my first question would be

1. When you turn on your thinkpad, but the OS is not yet loaded into memory, do both indicators (the bluetooth and the wireless) turn on or only the bluetooth? Cose I get only bluetooth

So anyways when installed win xp pro, I started installing drivers and stuff, and when pressing the fn+ f5 key, only could see the bluetooth on/off option. Nothing was mentioned about wireless( And yes, the external wireless switch is ON all the time and wireless is enabled in BIOS too) So I just kept reinstalling drivers for like 5000 times for the last 3 days, nothing.  So, I figured I'd update(flash?) my BIOS from some 2.5 version that came with my computer to 3.something. Still nothing. Then I finally loaded PC-Doctor from dos bootable cd and checked out configuration. There I took 2 tests. Checked both PCI and Wireless. Wireless failed, said couldnt find the hardware, and PCI passed. So now that the PC-Doctor couldn't find my wireless adapter, I thought there was actually no wifi adapter at all on my laptop, so I removed the screws, the panels, the keyboard and underneath actually found my intel WiFi 5100 adapter in the PCI adapter slot. Reinserted it. Whatever. Then I thought it would work but surprise surprise, everything was the same.

So for the past 3 days I was just:

• installing/rollbacking drivers
  • turning on/off microsoft wireless service
  • manually adding intel wifi 5100 hardware to the device manager network adapters list
  • testing with pc-doctor all the time
  • reseated the wifi adapter
  • using thinkvantage's System Update utility, downloaded drivers and patches n stuff
  • installing linux kubuntu to see if wireless would work there, of course it wouldn't..
  • seeing things (lack of sleep lol)

So now I guess the main question is When you turn on your thinkpad, but the OS is not yet loaded into memory, do both indicators (the bluetooth and the wireless) turn on or only the bluetooth?

And of course the obvious question is:

2. How'd I fix it?

During this driver vs hardware installation rampage, crazy idea came to me, maybe my BIOS can't recognize my intel wifi card?

check this out: http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/wifi-card-pci-ids.html

I don't know, so many thoughts in my head..

Anyways thanks alot for only reading these deliriums-wanderings and sorry if my gramma wasnt perfecto.

Have a nice day!

Thanks again.

Mikey

P.S. yeah I also have a warranty but what would I tell them?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,484
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wireless Problem | BIOS mystery?

there are cases where wireless card fails for some reason, and then it doesn't show up in the system property or pc-doctor scan... since the laptop is new, i would suggest you let Lenovo warranty department have a good look. 

When my computer starts, both the light would flash then goes off.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mikey00
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,470
Message 3 of 7

alright, thanks. I'll do that.

dynasp
Paper Tape
Views: 3,403
Message 4 of 7

Further to lead_org's reply, double check that you have the correct driver for your OS and exact model no. and the latest Thinkvantage Access Connections installed. Often there will be different driver / Access Connections variants for XP than for Vista. Given the variability of possible wireless hardware, bios and OS combinations, it would be easy to have got the wrong ones for your setup.

You might also find that there are different bios' required for Vista and XP. Neither should be an issue if your model came with an official XP downgrade option, though I'm not sure if there is any OS related support if you carry out the downgrade. Agree that if this is a new purchase, you should in any case contact the official Lenovo support desk. I'm not sure they would like it if you told them you had dismantled the machine though...

It is very possible that the wireless card is dead. Hardware failures in new kit often happen within the first couple of weeks, official support can test for this quickly and easily before spending lots of time looking into software/firmware issues. Let them sort it out if youcan get them to take it back.

cheerfuluk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,365
Message 5 of 7

hi guys,
I got the same problem on my laptop R400 today. I wanted to try something so removed the driver for Intel Wireless Pro. Now I have re-installed the driver (as I had downloaded it from lenovo support website and it is exact match to previously installed dirver).

I did not change anything else.

Now the radio for wireless does not switch on. I can see the light on front panel for bluetooth but not for wireless one. I tried using Fn+F5 as well and it does not display enable/disable option for wireless radio.

Please do post whatever reply you get from Lenovo to sort this problem out.

Cheers,
Andrew

Mikey00
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,302
Message 6 of 7

hi 

cheerfuluk, did the wireless work before the first time you removed the driver?

As for solution, them warranty guys still working on it as I handed the laptop a week ago. I don't know if afterwards they tell where the problem was or not. If they do, I'll make sure to post what they had to say. The thing that surprises me is that although this issue seems common among R400 users, lenovo still wouldn't announce what causes it. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Good luck

Mikey

cheerfuluk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,275
Message 7 of 7

hi Mikey,

Thanks for your reply. My wireless has started working.

This is what I did -

1. Installed the driver 6hwc05ww and during installation I selected custom settings and installed WIFI connection utility as well. This WIFI connection utility was not previously installed but wireless used to work as Windows O.S. was managing the wireless connection.

2. Restarted my computer and went into setup by pressing F1.

3. Turned on wireless settings.

4. Restarted my laptop again.

5. This time after windows started, WIFI connection utility started searching wireless networks and light for wireless came up.

6. Now i am able to see all wireless networks and connect with them.

What I have not tried yet (To be honest, I am bit scared of trying) is to remove WIFI connection utility and see if windows can manage my wireless connection (as was the case initially).

I have mentioned the procedure above for you guys to try who have problem with wireless.

Regards,

Andrew

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors