Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrFett
What's DOS?
Views: 1,324
Message 1 of 6

XP Install - Floppy Found Initially but then Can't Be Found for SATA Drivers

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a vanilla installation of my Lenovo R61e 7650 and am experiencing something I've never seen before - I boot up XP, Press F6 and load the correct SATA drivers, Windows continues and successfully sees the hard drive, I tell it to format the hard drive but when it comes to asking for the SATA floppy disk again just before copying files (as normal), the setup suddenley ceases to see the floppy drive - game over.

I decided to abandon the vanilla install and boot from the recovery partition but I don't get the To Start the Product Recovery program, press F11 message as instructed here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UFUYK.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this?  I wanted to update the bios to see if that helped but have discovered you can't do it from a floppy ( CD only and I don't have a burner apart from on my laptop ) or directly from Windows on the laptop ( and the laptop is blank because I've formatted the drive during setup and I can't run the recovery partition).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,315
Message 2 of 6

Re: XP Install - Floppy Found Initially but then Can't Be Found for SATA Drivers

Go into the BIOS and set the SATA to compatibility.

I type this response twice a day. Does anybody ever search anymore?

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
MrFett
What's DOS?
Views: 1,281
Message 3 of 6

Re: XP Install - Floppy Found Initially but then Can't Be Found for SATA Drivers

Hi Carbon Unit, Thanks for the help -

To be fair however - I did do a search but I was search for answers as to why the floppy drive suddenly stopped being recognised.  I'm very familiar with installing additional drivers for XP to handle SATA controllers and prefer to handle it all at the boot up stage (as recommended by Intel) and the method of changing the SATA mode to compatibility - while a fix - is curing the symptom rather than the illness (I still don't know why the floppy drive suddenly became invisible to the XP setup - first time I've ever seen that) 

Additionally, on some systems I've seen problems switching back from compatibility mode despite having the correct drivers installed.

Thanks again for your help

Bob

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,277
Message 4 of 6

Sorry, That comment wasn't directed at you personally. But it does get frustrating answering the same question all the time.

I too am familiar with installing SATA drivers from a floppy but it can be problematic on Thinkpads since they use a USB floppy. Most people here are using compatibility mode to install and then installing the SATA drivers and switching back to AHCI mode. Some like to slipstream the SATA drivers onto the install cd instead.

Of course if you were using the proper restore discs this would not be an issue at all.

MrFett
What's DOS?
Views: 1,272
Message 5 of 6

No worries - I know exactly what you mean - I run my own website with technical articles on it for our clients, we ask them all to check there first - they NEVER do Smiley Sad

Yeah USB floppies can indeed be problematic but I've always found in the past they are either visible to the setup or not - I've never had one complete the first phase of the SATA driver insertion and then suddenly become invisible - very weird.

Ah the slipstreaming - I've tinkered with that but I'm afraid I lack the patience.  I tried to find a reliable one on the net but no luck on the torrent sites, they all seem to be infected, corrupted or trying to subvert XP activation.  Have you managed to create a slipstreamed CD?  A significant respectful nod if you have my friend!

The worst part about it is that we're never going to see an official XP disk with SP3 and reliable native SATA support built in!! No more XP releases.  :-(

I thought about trying to get some recovery discs but I can't stand all the stuff that's preinstalled.  I understand it helps keep the price of the laptops down as these companies pay the manufacturers to be pre-installed but I just wish there was a vanilla install option (my Vaio has a two phase recovery - OS first and then Apps after if I wish).

Thanks again CU - much appreciated.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,240
Message 6 of 6

On the later R61's you can choose a "Custom Recovery" where you can uncheck a lot of the applications you do not want installed. You can get it down to a pretty bare install if you want.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors