cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwooden
Not applicable
Views: 656
Message 1 of 3

cursor / mouse hops horizontally across screen to the right - erratic w/ trackpoint enabled

I just rebuilt a R40 for a friend using an XP Professional SP3 CD.

Once I had XP installed and the security updates loaded I installed the Lenovo System Update and got the drivers installed through that method. 

It installed the current version of the UltraNav driver V14.0.18.0, but something screwy is going on.

Sometimes during boot up the cursor will start hopping horizontally to the right edge of the screen.

Trying to "force" it back doesn't work well as it keeps trying to "hop" off the right side of the screen.

Also the UltraNav icon does not always show up on the taskbar even though I have it turned on.

It does this (but not all of the time) either with or without a USB mouse installed.

Just now it was behaving properly and I was using the USB mouse to change settings within the UltraNav control panel. I changed one of the settings and the cursor went into "stupid" mode right away and hopped off the right side of the screen.

I now have it set so that the touchpad IS enabled and the trackpoint is DISabled.

If I check the box to enable the trackpont the cursor immediately starts to hop off the right side of the screen and can not be controlled. I have to use the keyboard to turn off the trackpoint function and regain cursor control.

Have I got bad hardware here or .... driver issues....

Again the cursor "hops" off the screen in about 1/2" increments and is not drifting "smoothly" off-screen....

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Highlighted
Maliha
Not applicable
Views: 624
Message 2 of 3

Re: cursor / mouse hops horizontally across screen to the right - erratic w/ trackpoint enabled

Hi Jim,

I suggest downloading and booting from a Live CD of any linux distro, if the curser also hops in linux then it definitely would be hardware issue.

I also recommend running lenovo PC Doctor's diagnostic test on the keyboard.

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

jwooden
Not applicable
Views: 606
Message 3 of 3

Re: cursor / mouse hops horizontally across screen to the right - erratic w/ trackpoint enabled

Thanks I'll pull down the diag. tool tomorrow!

The "hopping" behavior is very odd............... Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors