Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alidabiri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,837
Message 1 of 17

error 1802 on R40 - unauthorized network card plugged in

hi,
   i have a thinkpad R40 that i purchased without a wifi card. i purchased a wifi card and plugged in. i get this error message:
error 1802 - unauthorized network card plugged in. please power off and remove the mini pci card. can someone tell me please what i need to do to get this wifi card to work?
thanks.
Aristotle
Punch Card
Views: 13,826
Message 2 of 17

Re: error 1802 on R40 - unauthorized network card plugged in

Wow! I had this exact problem with this stupid Intel Pro Wirless card! I used the CD from this guy's site and it's been fine ever since with Linux and booting up.

http://www.command-tab.com/2006/02/26/thinkpad-1802-error-fix/

Only thing is, if the battery is disconnected, you'll get that error again. Simply boot that, use the utility, and it'll be perfectly fine.

Message Edited by Aristotle on 06-25-2008 09:39 PM
Guru
Views: 13,825
Message 3 of 17

Welcome to the forum!

ThinkPads have a "whitelist" of IBM-approved wireless cards that will work within the system BIOS. Two choices for you:

a) Buy a genuine IBM/Lenovo card.

b) Google for "1802 error" and see what the suggestions are...

I strongly advise against following the suggestions that you'll find on the web.

Genuine IBM (Atheros) a/b/g card should work in your R40 with no issues whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
alidabiri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,798
Message 4 of 17

Thanks, George.
    where can i buy this "genuine" ibm atheros card, please?
thanks everyone for help.
cheers.
Guru
Views: 13,785
Message 5 of 17

Try eBay, but make sure that:

a) It's mini-PCI and not mini-PCI-E

b) It has an IBM/Lenovo FRU part number on it.

I'm not at home right now, but will post the correct FRU number for you here later.

Good luck.
Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
ipatij
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,435
Message 6 of 17

i foolowed (yeah, i like this typo ) your solution dear mister 'guru' and guess what? i figured out - it sucks!

i bought a genuine ibm wireless mini-pci card for my r40, put it in and thought i'm so smart to do the right thing.

well... when  i turned it on i surely got what? error 1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in!

yes! ibm won't authorize their own cards in their own laptops.

then i just found this excellent resourse: http://www.command-tab.com/2006/02/26/thinkpad-1802-error-fix/

i downloaded the floppy image, rawwriten it to a floppy and ran the proram off of it. and - bingo! everything works just fine.

the only thing - i could have bought a non-ibm 'g'-card for the same money i paid for this 'b' ibm-branded one. no big deal when i surf internet, but it is sluggish in comparison to ethernet.

so. my advice: buy better card, and screw those greedy bastards!

380D, A20, A31, X30, R40
Guru
Views: 13,425
Message 7 of 17

@ipatij:

What "b" card have you tried installing in your R40? Not all of the IBM cards work in all the IBM machines (I should've stated that before, I guess).

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest before inserting it (assuming you had the correct card in the first place)?

Finally, I'm well aware of the BIOS hack that has been widely available for years and helps overcoming the error. I've also seen ThinkPads whose boards have died after the hack was implemented, and not all of them have gone out in a puff of smoke right afterwards...good luck, hopefully your R40 will stay in sound health for years to come.

In my other posts on both this forum and TPF I've stated many a times that I believe that the idea of "whitelisting" the hardware is not a noble one, to say the very least, but is something we have to deal with for the time being.

Cheers,

George

ipatij
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,422
Message 8 of 17

the card has ibm FRU P/N 12P3657 on it and is detected as IBM High Rate (lol) Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter.

detected - obviously after i ran that utility you call the bios hack, which in fact has nothing to do with bios, but rather changes a few bytes in the cmos that make bios look up the hw list (that is not a permanent change as you know i hope and is perfectly reversible thing).

and yes, for sure my laptop is up to date with the latest bios and the other piece - adapter firmware if i reacall it right.

speaking of whitelisting - someone who is in favor of that, long ago switched to mac and live happily ever after. but for the less fortunate guys like me an idea of PC's open architecture means that i shouldn't always have to pay for some overpriced crap and at the same time i can support a healthy business competition and technical progress buying more advanced technologies.

i don't know why are trying to scare people away from the many times proven working solution, my guess is - you work for ibm/lenovo or somehow associated with them. but i tell you what - that tactics never worked well in the open communities.

380D, A20, A31, X30, R40
alidabiri1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,417
Message 9 of 17

This is so ridiculous. that we get ibm's own brand card, and it doesn't work. what a shame. open architecture means just that. why do i have to buy a high price wifi card because ibm wants to sell it's own brand at a higher pricel, and it doesn't accept its earlier, cheaper version of wifi card. what a bunch of crap. and i don't think anybody should come to ibm's defense, unless they're paid and are associated with that screwed up company.

cheers.  

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 13,404
Message 10 of 17

ipatij wrote:

i don't know why are trying to scare people away from the many times proven working solution, my guess is - you work for ibm/lenovo or somehow associated with them. but i tell you what - that tactics never worked well in the open communities.

alidabiri1 wrote:
what a bunch of crap. and i don't think anybody should come to ibm's defense, unless they're paid and are associated with that screwed up company.

What doesn't work well in this community are personal attacks on other forum members who are trying to help whether they are Lenovo employees or simply ThinkPad fans like George.

Please read the Community Rules of Participation by which you agreed to abide when you registered, and adhere to them.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors