Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reddjeep88
Not applicable
Views: 1,368
Message 1 of 10

flickerin' & beepin'

My R51 has recently started freakin' out.  On the battery, (old but holds a fair charge) everything works fine.  As soon as I plug in the wall power, it will randomly beep and flash the screen.  It's as if the power cord is being plugged and unplugged.  The battery icon will flash accordingly from battery to plug as well. 

I've tried a new power cord and tested the battery.  I noticed tonight that with the power plugged in, there is a high-pitched whine coming from the machine.  It seems to be coming from the area around the power plug. 

It will still charge the battery, but it's obviously only getting surges of power when it's flipping back and forth.

Has anybody ran into this before?  Any ideas on what's going on?  Would the LCD inverter affect the charging circuit like this?

TIA

Idle
Not applicable
Views: 1,344
Message 2 of 10

Re: flickerin' & beepin'

It's likely that there's an intermittent contact somewhere between the wall and the mainboard

It could be anything from a faulty wall socket or plug, a broken wire in one of the leads, the charger on its way out, wear on the input plug or socket, even a board fault — the high-pitched whine suggests it may be in the computer.

Don't persevere with it — get it checked and rectified before it takes your machine out.

If you can locate one, try another charger, but anyway fix it before it fixes you!.

reddjeep88
Not applicable
Views: 1,313
Message 3 of 10

I've tried 2 different power supplies...same problem.  I was thinking it might be the power interposer...but apparently that only applies to a 15" screen???  If that is true (anybody???)  then I'm assuming I'm headed for a main board?

I'm open to other thoughts on what to look for!

Thanks!

Idle
Not applicable
Views: 1,302
Message 4 of 10

What happens it you run it from the charger without the battery installed?

reddjeep88
Not applicable
Views: 1,252
Message 5 of 10

After a few hours on the cord only (no battery), it seems to be doing everything fine.  No beeps, flickers or glitches! 

I guess I've got either a bad battery or possibly a bad connector in the battery bay!

Thanks, Idle,  for steering me towards the "no battery" test

Idle
Not applicable
Views: 1,231
Message 6 of 10

Suspect you may have a failing battery making the charging circuit cut in and out.

reddjeep88
Not applicable
Views: 1,169
Message 7 of 10

Okay...as Marvin the Martian would say:  "back to the old drawing board..."

After a good week of off-and-on use, now it's back to the flickering and beeping on the power cord only (no battery).

From what I've been able to read, a 14" machine regulates power via the main board?  Any ideas?  Anyone?

TIA

Idle
Not applicable
Views: 1,159
Message 8 of 10

Okay, it looks as though something electronic might be on its way out — could possibly also be no more than  a bad solder joint or a bad contact.

I'd be starting with the power input socket and checking that a firm contact is being made by all pins, then work on from there through the changeover control area.

Look for any sign of burning or corrosion, or a solder joint with a dark spot.

However, it's a section thats likely to be beyond the average user's area of expertise.

reddjeep88
Not applicable
Views: 912
Message 9 of 10

Update:

So, I noticed that the problem seemed to happen most when the cooling fan should have been running faster than normal.  It wasn't.  I took it out, cleaned it up, put the heat sink schmooey on it and re-installed.  I haven't had a recurrance of the problem since!

Coincidental???  well, maybe.  But, I guess the fan dragging was putting enough of a load on the power supply, that it was creating havok with the voltage regulation circuit. 

It's crazy that something that silly can render a machine virtually useless...but, I guess that's the price we get to pay for high-tech gadgets!!!

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 873
Message 10 of 10

install TPfancontrol (download it off the net) and then run Prime95 (another free download), and see whether this problem comes back. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors