Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryanmellish
Paper Tape
Views: 1,448
Message 1 of 5

hdd error - 2100 - r61i

Hello All,

Ive arrived here as a last resort.  Ive Googled, I've searched Lenovo site, nothing is working.

Got this error out of the blue and nothing is clearing it.

Tried firmware Release FWSH24, no dice.  Tried re-seating, no luck.

Just got off the phone with Lenovo tech support, which was a downright terrible experience.  After being told that my warranty has expired, I was basically told I had to replace the drive at my cost. This is a known issue, I cant believe that this is my responsibilty.  Its not merely a cost issue, but to lose all my data like this is unacceptable to me.

As you may have guessed, this is a Seagate drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have no idea where to go from here.  To replace this drive with the same crappy one seems like a terrible solution.

Thanks for any help. 

ZaZ
Greps Everything
Views: 1,433
Message 2 of 5

Re: hdd error - 2100 - r61i

@ryanmellish wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buy a new drive.  The 2100 error most likely means your drive is likely toast. I don't know that there's anyone here can do for you. You're just a vicitim of bad luck.  I think your beef is more likely with Seagate than Lenovo.  If you needed to be covered, you should have sprung for the warranty extension.  All of this I think points out the need to have a good backup.  I personally keep four copies of anything I'd prefer not to lose.  If you're unhappy with Seagate, considered a different brand.  You'll get a three year warranty on a new drive.  Consider it $50-75 down the drain for a new drive, but an important lesson learned.

Message Edited by ZaZ on 03-27-2009 12:02 AM
Views: 1,403
Message 3 of 5

Any suggestions in terms of recovering the data off the drive? Would I stand a chance with one of these USB-SATA adapters, or will that more than likely put me further in the hole
ryanmellish
Paper Tape
Views: 1,357
Message 4 of 5

Anyone?

I dont want to waste money on a USB-SATA converter if it doesnt stand a chance at working.

ZaZ
Greps Everything
Views: 1,339
Message 5 of 5

It's really hard to tell over the Internet whether's it's going to work.  If you're unsure whether it'll work, buy the cable somewhere it's easily returned like Best Buy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors