cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hornimus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 407
Message 1 of 1

healthy r61e bootup fails after thinkvantage R&R "finds and fixes" corrupted file(s)

On bootup today, I pressed the Thinkvantage blue button and logged into the R&R mode. (I wanted to see if it had a copy feature for the recovery partition, but that's another story....)

When I got into R&R, it nformed me I had "corrupted files" on my system, so I elected to let it "fix" them. Bad choice.

Now, during a normal XP bootup, the machine gets to the XP splash screen with the little bar of moving blue dots, and stops dead after a few seconds (the horizontal scrolling, triple clusters of blue dots stop cold in their tracks).

Now, I have no idea why or what got corrupted, if anything, but my machine had been just fine from day one, until this.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Safe Mode runs, allowing me to reach the net and type this, but it's ..... slow.

[edit]...

Fixed with a manual reinstall of the driver for ACPI Multiprocessor PC (in Device  Manager, under Computer).  I remembered that I had upgraded the CPU, and reckoned R&R was comparing against a list of files for the Celeron hardware. I'm happy again.

Message Edited by hornimus on 09-10-2008 03:30 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors