Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seltzerman
Paper Tape
Views: 29,537
Message 1 of 11

major mouse stutter, CPU usage by gfnexsrv.exe

Very annoying feature on my new SL400 - every few seconds my cpu usage goes way up and causes my mouse to stutter as I move it. the process that is clearly at fault is gfnexsrv.exe - it is sucking my cpu cycles.  It appears, from literature to be related to hotkeys.  Is there any way to reduce its impact?  I am precluded from changing its priority.  It makes using this laptop extemely difficult.

Craig

garytr23
Token Ring
Views: 29,204
Message 2 of 11

Re: major mouse stutter, CPU usage by gfnexsrv.exe

I've got the same problem.. any news?  I moved my mouse around until it stuttered while watching task manager and I noticed the gfnexsrv process moving to the top in cpu usage.
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
garytr23
Token Ring
Views: 29,194
Message 3 of 11

getting rid of the battery guage app seems to help.  Which makes sense.  Mouse stutter is caused by conflicting interrupts probably.
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
manuel
What's DOS?
Views: 28,826
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

I have a SL500 and the same problem.

I disbled the ATKGFNEX Service and the problem was solved. But what is the ATKGFNEX service for? I could not find any disadvantage by disabling it, so what does it do?

What do you mean with the battery gauge App?

Greetings

Manuel 

Xeogin
802.11n
Views: 28,788
Message 5 of 11

@manuel wrote:

Hi,

I have a SL500 and the same problem.

I disbled the ATKGFNEX Service and the problem was solved. But what is the ATKGFNEX service for? I could not find any disadvantage by disabling it, so what does it do?

What do you mean with the battery gauge App?

Greetings

Manuel 

The ATKGFNEX service is for the hot keys, like the volume ones, and the Fn ones. If they still work on yours that's awesome, but I think last time I tried, they didn't.

The battery app is the nasty green thing in the task bar, right next to the system tray. Disabling it was literally the first thing I did when I got mine.

Also, try reinstalling, or upgrading the drivers for your mouse and touchpad, and can one of you try using an app called Process Explorer, and adding the CS Switch Delta column, and then tell us with process' are the highest? Try suspending them too, you could find the exact problem a lot easier by doing that. Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Just passed the CompTIA A+ 601 with flying colours! =D
Owner of an SL500 running Vista Business with 4GB of PC2 6400 RAM
manuel
What's DOS?
Views: 28,763
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

that was exactly the way how I found out that gfnexsrv.exe is the problem.

I like that ugly green thing in the taskbar  *G* , but disabling didn't help.

The hot keys seem to work, that's why I'm wondering.

Via the lenovo system updater I already have the latest drivers installed.

Greetings

Manu 

bandor23
What's DOS?
Views: 28,712
Message 7 of 11

We were having the same issue with our SL series notebooks. I downloaded and ran the following driver which totally fixed the problem. Cheers!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000

aj141
Fanfold Paper
Views: 27,882
Message 8 of 11

i've got the same problem on an sl500, every 60 seconds the mouse pointer stutters.

the update recommened by bandor03 has been installed, but no joy for me. mouse pointer still stutters.

aj141
Fanfold Paper
Views: 27,669
Message 9 of 11

i've managed to stop the mouse stutter, but its not an ideal fix. Checkout the discussion "Horrendous DPC latency?"

My setup. SL500, which I downgraded to XP Pro. All windows and Lenovo updates have been run.

I uninstalled the Power Manager, rebooted, and then disabled "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in device manager and the mouse(and keyboard) stutter/lag disappeared.

On the discussion on the DPC latency thread, the Intel SATA driver appears to be buggy and the driver that causes least pain is 8.1.0.1001. I checked and thats the one installed on my machine. If you have the newier version, try downgrading the SATA driver.

Also, i have uninstalled the following as i didnt need them (btw unrelated to the stutter problem)

Message Centre

ThinkVantage Client Security Solution

Lenovo Care for ThinkPad

Message Centre Plus

Works for me, your milage may differ.

I had no idea that lenovo notebooks were sooooooo crappy, not a brand i'm going to recommend to anyone.

a

mmazzei
What's DOS?
Views: 24,717
Message 10 of 11

Thanks, and I downloaded the driver and installs it. With that go faster. 
Also disable the Windows startup service (ATKGFNEX Service) and now runs even faster.

Sorry my bad english, I speak spanish better, this is Google Translated  Smiley Wink 
My laptop is a SL400 - 2743 H4Y

@bandor23 wrote:

We were having the same issue with our SL series notebooks. I downloaded and ran the following driver which totally fixed the problem. Cheers!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors