Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
peggiesue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,375
Message 1 of 9

need help withThinkpad R50

I bought this Thinkpad R50 used off craigslist in 2006 for my daughter to use in college. The young gal was selling it to go on a trip with her school. I met her parents and they gave me all info they had. No problem. Well, then my daughter added herself as a "user" and never changed herself to the "administrator". Fast forward 1 year, it quit working properly, so we bought her a brand new Toshiba notebook. Now, 2 years later it quit working, so now that the Thinkpad has been "dead" for quite sometime, it wants us to log in at the "Log On to Windows" screen. It will not recognize my daughter. Is there anyway to get around this log in screen? She needs to use this laptop until she can get her Toshiba problem fixed. Thank you for any help with this.
chazzmania
Paper Tape
Views: 1,264
Message 2 of 9

Re: need help withThinkpad R50

I know this is too late to help, but if you can't remember the login and/or password, you would have to restore using the disk that came with it or go on the web and get another copy.  That way you can use the numbers on the sticker.
peggiesue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,252
Message 3 of 9

Actually, it's never too late! Smiley Happy

If I did this, then would everything on the computer be lost? I appreciate your post. I would have never thought to restore. Thanks!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,239
Message 4 of 9

If you are using xp you can boot in safe mode create a new account and delete the old account save files & setting to the new account then reboot

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
peggiesue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,230
Message 5 of 9

Ok, so how do you boot in safe mode? Is there a key I press when it's starting up or something? Once I'm in safe mode, how do I create a new acct? Yes, it has win xp. Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy
kre8tive
Paper Tape
Views: 1,222
Message 6 of 9

Press F8 between POST & the Windows XP Loading Screen to get the menu to access SafeMode.

Have you tried pressing Cntrl+Alt+Delete a few times at the login screen, it will bring up manual login mode, which should allow you to type 'Administrator' and hopefully a blank password, or a password perhaps you remember setting will get you in on that account, where you can alter your daughters previous account.

To edit accounts, go to Start >  Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts

Goodluck.

Message Edited by kre8tive on 05-21-2009 08:57 AM
Retired Guru
Views: 1,218
Message 7 of 9

have you tryed clicking the ok with out entering any thing in the password field it may not have a password set

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
peggiesue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,197
Message 8 of 9

I am not having any luck. In Safe Mode it still wants the user name and password. My 9 year old was with me when I purchased it, and he thought he knew the password (he usually has such a sharp memory) but, it didn't work. Darn. So, Safe Mode isn't an option. I did also try to use blank screen, or no passwords, or type Administrator without a password, but no such luck. Even typing in my daughter's name and the password she chose, doesn't work. She thinks it's because we let it sit for so long, that the battery died, and it doesn't recognize her anymore. She really wants to retreive what is on the computer, so I would hate to have to re-do everything with the disc/online. Very discouraging.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,017
Message 9 of 9

I'm locking this thread as it's gone far enough. In the forum rules it states clearly;

No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc, nor shall any posts provide descriptions to the location of, nor direct links to content related to these topics.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors