cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCalwas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,406
Message 1 of 6

"Battery not installed" message, but it is. Plus, fan runs non-stop.

Boy, do I hate computers!

The latest fun adventure is that my SL510 suddenly does not recognize my installed battery. The Power Mangler says the battery is not installed. When I'm on AC, however, the battery does in fact charge. I can unplug the AC and run on the battery, but the Mangler still says the battery is not installed. So according to the Mangler I am running on neither the AC nor the battery. Have I just discovered a new source of energy???

I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. No change. Any suggestions?

At the same time, I'm suddenly getting chunks of lag time where something is eating all the CPU processing time. All other programs stop or seriously stutter for about five seconds. This occurs about every minute.

ALSO, my fan has suddenly started running non-stop even though the entire computer is colder than the icepack placed against my head to reduce the migraines this computer is causing.

Any ideas other than throwing my computer out the window and becoming a Hari Krishna?

Boy, do I HATE computers!!!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,377
Message 2 of 6

Re: "Battery not installed" message, but it is. Plus, fan runs non-stop.

While, becoming Hari Karishna is a bit extreme, but becoming Deepak Chopra is not a bad alternative.

But on a serious side, have you tried to update the BIOS recently? 

Also, when you latest fun adventure, can you elaborate on the not so fun history of the laptops? more specifically the problem that you had.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
StevenCalwas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,367
Message 3 of 6

I haven't updated the BIOS recently. Why would that suddenly make the Power Mangler once again recognize my battery? I won't start mindlessly making changes to a flakey computer. Changes typically CAUSE instabilities, not eliminate them. If there is a known fix, I will do it, but I won't just start hacking at the problem.

There really is no relevant history to tell about this problem. Initially, the computer recognized the battery. Then it didn't. At the same time, the fan started running non-stop and the CPU processing time started getting monopolized for five seconds every minute. All three effects began at the same time. I was doing nothing unusual when the problems began. End of history.

Does Deepak Chopra's "Seven Sacred Secrets of Success" fix this problem?

Views: 3,340
Message 4 of 6

This is the first time i have seen this problem, but i guess the question is whether you still have warranty remaining, this could a hardware problem.

Did you ever spilled any liquid on the laptop?

Also, download tpfancontrol to check the system temp, also when you say lagging, is there any background process that is running. 

Regards,

Jin Li

StevenCalwas
Paper Tape
Views: 3,284
Message 5 of 6

Executive Summary: I updated the BIOS and the computer now recognizes the battery again.

Long version: I checked the BIOS updates and noticed that, although my specific problem was not addressed, there were many battery-related "fixes" implemented, so I took a chance and updated the BIOS.

The update instructions state to be sure that a fully-powered battery is installed before running. Well, I did have a powered battery installed; did it matter that the system didn't recognize it? Probably. And to my detriment. Regardless, I decided to update.

The program ran until the message "Processing block 31 of 31," at which point everything hung, except the fan which was running so high that it was cooling the entire room. I put on a coat and waited patiently, but nothing changed.

Resigned to the fact that I had probably trashed my system, I unplugged the AC, removed the battery, rehooked everything, and tried to power-up. Alas, sometimes the PC gods smile upon us, if only to continue our misery. The PC booted and recognized the battery! The other problem symptoms also disappeared. So my PC lives to dysfunction another day.

Now I calmly await the next in a never-ending series of "fun" PC adventures. Thanks for your assistance.

Views: 3,274
Message 6 of 6

See all the great philosophers are smiling upon you.

I had a similar experience with mine X60 two years ago, the laptop froze for 1 hour and it was on the last block. Luckily, i didn't brick the laptop. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors