01-24-2011 01:48 PM
I have an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 which had the downgraded Windows XP installed on it when I purchased it. I have also put the AVG antivirus program on it.
When the machine has been running for a period of time (times vary) with no acitivity (just a screen saver), the system stops operating. It takes a cold boot to get it started again. When it restarts, it seems to work correctly again but will eventually freeze again in the future.
What is a minimum set of startup programs I could run ( this system has a TON of startup processes!) to try to identify the problem program?
Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour and, if so, what was the remedy?
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-25-2011 07:32 AM
...some additional information...
I started the processes monitor after starting the machine. I didn't start any other programs (just the processes started at startup). The machine ran for about 1/2 hour and then totally locked up. The System Idle showed at 99% but the CPU usage went up to around 57%. It took a hardboot to get it back to life.
If someone has any ideas, please help! I can't even find where to report this error to IBM/Thinkpad/Lenovo as a tech support issue...
01-25-2011 12:58 PM
01-25-2011 01:46 PM
Excellent suggestion! I've examined the startup list several times before and have never even looked at doing a minimal startup for diagnostics purposes (my bad).
I was able to capture the list of processes in a normal startup (78 processes) and also capture the list of processes in a minimal startup (17 processes).
Is there any way to identify the function of the process? Some of these names are kind of hard to associate with programs...
It would take quite a while to isolate one at a time...
01-26-2011 05:24 AM
01-29-2011 06:33 AM
I think I've found the solution to my lockup problem.
I removed many of the Thinkpad/Lenovo autoupdate, utility, and adware processes. I left many of the good utility programs (power manager, drivers, etc.). I also updated the system and found there was a critical update for Rescue and Recovery, which I downloaded and installed. I am using the AVG2011 antivirus software and I think it was interfering with some of the auto-running processes.
I am cautiously optomistic. I have seen it run for a longer time than it has usually taken before locking up before doing the mods. The number of normal processes has dropped from 78 to 66, also. I will test this for the rest of the day but (hopefully) this looks like the solution.
Thanks, very much, for the help.