English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad P and W Series Mobile Workstations Knowledge Base

Can I add a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD to my P50 ThinkPad?

Think Engineering has identified an issue where Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSDs do not perform as expected in some Lenovo ThinkPads, such as not allowing HDD passwords to be set or removed.

The reason for this is ThinkPad BIOS for Intel SkyLake products are designed to support NVMe devices which conform to UEFI Spec v2.4 or later. Unfortunately, the Samsung 950 Pro is designed with UEFI Spec. v2.3.1. This conflict in design specification prevents the ThinkPad BIOS from recognizing the Samsung 950 Pro as a NVMe storage device as well as denying the BIOS control of the HDD password, encryption, and NVMe device power management.

Lenovo has also reviewed the Samsung 960 PRO 1TB. While the Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB meets UEFI v.2.4 specifications and supports HDD passwords, NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management are unsupported in ThinkPads. 

As result, Lenovo recommend purchasing a ThinkPad M.2 PCIe-NVMe SSD to guarantee support of HDD passwords, device power management, encryption, and device thermal management on ThinkPads.

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

asbai On 2016-12-29, 17:11 PM

It's strange that "UEFI v2.4" is not backward compatible with "UEFI v2.3.1" ?

Is there any chance to let thinkpad's BIOS backward support "UEFI v2.3.1" ?

BlueMind On 2017-01-13, 16:32 PM

What is the current status of this issue please?  This thread starts out saying:

"ThinkPad BIOS for Intel SkyLake products are designed to support NVMe devices which conform to UEFI Spec v2.4 or later"

... but then goes on ...

"NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management are unsupported in ThinkPads"

Followed by:

"Lenovo recommend purchasing a ThinkPad M.2 PCIe-NVMe SSD to guarantee support of HDD passwords, device power management, encryption, and device thermal management on ThinkPads."

1. If NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management are not supported in Thinkpads, then why would Lenovo recommend their own NVMe devices; surely they also are without full NVMe power/thermal support?

2. What can we expect if we put NVMe devices into our workstations?

3. Does Lenovo have a plan to remedy issues with the NVMe power/thermal management support?

4. If users choose to use M.2 SATA devices are these fully supported (e.g. do the M.2 slots in the P50/P70 support both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe-NVMe?  (Even then, why would you want the slower option?)

I suspect nearly every user who specs. up a workstation will be looking to put in the highest capacity and fastest storage they can find at the time.  Full support for standardised OEM options should be available.

p8092040 On 2017-01-20, 9:52 AM

I'm also looking for the status and compatibility of the Samsung 960  M.2 PCIe-NVMe in two capacities:

1 TB and 2 TB

I'm waiting to order my P70 subject to being able to use the Samsung 960  M.2 PCIe-NVMe drives.  Hopefully can get the 2 TB model, but will go for 1 Tb if that's my only option.  I'm certainly not buying Lenovo's 1TB drive at twice the cost.  Please advise. Thanks.

Additional questions:

.. I'm assuming that I will be able to boot off of the  M.2 PCIe-NVMe drive? I'll copy the Windows 7 OS partition and supporting boot system info from the drive that will ship with my new P70.  My goal is to have the Samsung 960 drive as the boot drive. The 512GB SATA SSD drive that ships with my unit will become a data drive. 

.. Eventually, I'll install Windows 10 Pro on a separate partition in a dual boot scenario.  I like to have separate OS access in case my primary OS gets corrupted.

Hoping the above will be workable? Thx.

podehnal On 2017-01-26, 6:33 AM

Also waiting to purchase the P70 subject to answers to this thread.  Is there no response from Lenovo since the end of last year?

Need to know if the Samsung 960 PRO 2 TB PCIe-NVMe drive will work in the P70 please?  

Clarification on Lenovo's support for Power and Thermal Management is available for the most popular SSD devices?

improwise On 2017-03-13, 16:58 PM
@Amy_Lenovo So, Lenovo is just ignoring this issue then?
vladimir_sev On 2017-04-02, 13:31 PM

Hi!

Does my P50 compatable with Samsung 960 pro/evo ssd? I know that laptop supports NVMe, but what about thermal and power management?

Regards

P.S. added new question - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/NVMe-power-and-thermal-management-support-for-Samsungs-960-ssds/m-p/3627944

LilMonkey On 2017-07-20, 17:58 PM

I'm trying to swap out the internal 512GB M.2 SSD that Lenovo puts in the P51S for the boot drive to a 1TB Samsung 960 EVO M.2. I made a USB Recovery USB (Lenovo Recovery) from the original 512, put in the new 1TB and Recovery fails. It starts but then spits back "Recovery failed" in the dialogue after I accept the agreement. Any ideas why the EVO 960 would fail or Lenovo Recovery won't see the drive? Recovery sees it fine with the 512, but swap it out for the EVO, and no joy. Could really use some advice if anyone has experience with this.

podehnal On 2017-07-20, 18:42 PM

I always order my Lenovo Thinkpads with a minimal spining disk, then upgrade to the SSD of my choice. With my P70, and others Thinkpads over the years, I use Paragon Software's Hard Disk Manager to first clone the entire disk that ships with the Thinkpad, then set up any additional partitions that I might want. For example a data partition that will be drive D:, leaving the boot partition as C: and I retain the recovery partitions from the original Lenovo provided disk.

In addition, I usually setup a dual boot scenario. For instance, my P70 came with Windows 7 Pro, so I created a new partition to install Windows 10 Pro on.  Paragon's HD Manager Pro version is under $99 and also a great backup solution.  I also use Samsung SSDs.  On the P series Thinkpads, why not install the Samsung PCIe super high speed SSDs?  Your P51s will love you for it.

LilMonkey On 2017-07-20, 20:09 PM

Hi podehnal thanks for the reply.

The P51S we ordered only comes M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe with a 512GB installed, so yes, I'm using that already. The problem is when I went to swap it out after I made a copy of the Recovery Disk to USB, then put the new 960EVO in, Recovery starts fine, then when it asks for the Agreement OK, I do so, click next and it gives an error "Recovery Failed".  I shouldn't have to use a third party disk tool, as Lenovo Recovery Disk should just re-imaged the drive in place. I've done it for years on SATA Thinkpads, swapping spinners for SATA SSD's using Recovery, however this PCIe SSD swap isn't working. So I'm stumped a bit.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete