Options

2 Posts

09-14-2020

CZ

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 3

20% CPU usage by 'System' after sleep or hybernate - ntoskrnl.exe problem.

2020-09-14, 8:59 AM

W530 Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 2463, Windows 10 x64.

Everything is OK with a clean boot of windows.

However, if I wake my laptop from hibernation or sleep mode, ntoskrnl.exe will start to load the processor 15 to 35%, depending on the current mood after waking up.

On the advice of a friend, I performed a clean installation on another hard drive, but after installing all the necessary drivers via the Lenovo service bridge, the problem is back.

I don't have time to look for the cause of running trial and error.

The problem causes the new original battery to last 50 to 70 minutes, while ntoskrnl.exe is not a problem so the endurance is 240 to 300 minutes. Very big difference!

I don't know any more, sleep or hibernation mode is very important for my laptop, because very often I move the car while working and not all workplaces can connect to 230V AC and some programs need to stay on because they can not save until the work is completely completed. So far I have purchased a 300W inverter 12/230 but it is not a comfortable solution because I keep thinking about the need to charge and the car socket is too hot (14A current). The backpack is also impossible to cool if I can't turn off the laptop. This year too much heat from the sun. For example, walk 2km to the radio relay station because there is no road, just walk.

Solved! See the solution
Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4986 Page Views

• Views: 4986
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:20% CPU usage by 'System' after sleep or hybernate - ntoskrnl.exe problem.

2020-09-14, 9:32 AM

Hi CeckoCZ,

There's quiet a lot of post on this subject on all kinds of brands (HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo etc), and it's kind of hard to get to the core of the problem.

Many have reported that the System Usage subsides temporarely (until next time it wakes from sleep/hibernation) when they enter Device Manager and click "Scan for hardware changes" (it's the icon with a monitor and a magnifying class over it).

Other have noted that this is the best way to temporarily make it better, compared to the more annoying solution, that is to deactivate the High Definition Audio Device drivers. Seemingly there is a problem with sound drivers when waking from sleep/hibernation.

What you could try is to perform a manual update of all the Audio drivers on your device:

Press the Windows Key + X, or right click the Windows icon in the bottom left. Select Device Manager from the list.

Expand the following areas:  

- Audio input and output   (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Sound, video and game controllers  (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Software components (Realtek Audio Effects Component and Universal Service if listed)

- System devices (Intel Smart Sound and/or High Definition Audio Controller)

**Note: Start from top to bottom

Update them by choosing from the driver lists on your computer, make sure to choose the most recent Audio related drivers you can find:  

- Right Click the devices

- Select Update Driver

- Browse my computer for drivers

- Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

- Select the most recent driver from the list for every device then Click Next

- Close confirmation dialog.

I'd also suggest trying to disable fast startup from the Power Options section:

- Navigate to the windows icon in the bottom left, click it and start typing "Control Panel"

- While in Control Panel, navigate to the "Power Options" Icon / link.

- In the left column, click "Choose what closing the lid does"

- Click "Change Settings that are currently unavailable"

- Un-check "Turn on fast startup" (This does not affect Restarting the computer), but when it starts up again from sleep and/or hibernation.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

09-14-2020

CZ

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:20% CPU usage by 'System' after sleep or hybernate - ntoskrnl.exe problem.

2020-09-16, 20:40 PM
THX! Super! Fast startup is it! :-)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete