Options

73 Posts

10-18-2011

US

185 Signins

2003 Page Views

• Views: 2003
  • Message 1 of 1

2nd/3rd Gen Core ThinkPad Guide in 2019 (Includes Ricoh High CPU Fix)

2019-03-22, 5:12 AM

I'm still running a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 in 2019 and want to offer some tips - including a fix for the infamous 'Ricoh PCIe SD/MMC Host Controller' high CPU bug.

Although released prior to Windows 10, back in 2011, Lenovo actually provided partial support for this model to help usher its customers into the newer era. And why not? The $1000+ investment wields a PassMark score of 6116 (i7-2720QM), maxes out at 32GB RAM, and supports 6Gb/s (SATA port), and keeps good time :smileywink:. It's still a relative beast with decent power efficiency. There's absolutely no reason to laugh here and it's sometimes good to see an old car on the road.

[Confession: For quite awhile, I had this stuffed away in a backpack, occasionally lending it out to friends and used a MUCH less-powered device because it had better integration. But then after helping countless organizations and people with their systems, I arrived to my better senses and decided to tackle each remaining issue on this, one-by-one.]

Enough background, let's get to it!

1) Apply fix for Ricoh PCIe SD/MMC Host Controller driver-induced cpu-stress upon return from sleep state (disables and re-enables device using devcon.exe, batch file, and scheduled task).
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Ricoh-Card-Reader-use-25-CPU/m-p/4273924/highlight/true#M92882
* I'd like to wrap this in an installer package.

2) Install NVIDIA Quadro 1000M driver from website (Ref A).
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/120734/en-us
Made following app-specific modfiications (Ref B).
* This allows for the use of NVIDIA Control Panel to control select Win10 apps that gray out or don't start with hardware acceleration.

3) Opt for the native High Definition Audio Device for 'Sound, video and game controllers' (instead of Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD) for better mic quality. For better audio, usb speakers work well. Clients I communicate with can easily understand me vs. with the other drivers, and I use a soundbar or speakers for audio play.

4) Install 'Hotkey Features Integration' for the mute mic button.
https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds031814

5) Use 'IObit Driver Booster' to find latest drivers for better system integration.
This cleared up 'Unknown Device' issues in Device Manager.
* I don't work for IObit.

6) Ensure the following are enabled:
* SSD SATA in AHCI mode.
* Memory in dual-channel mode (involves having 2 or 4 sticks installed and doubles the clock frequency to advertised levels).
* Bios in UEFI mode.

7) Disable PLDS DVD-RW DS8A8SH and HHDA CX11270 Soft Modem in Device Manager (unless you use these relics).

8) Conduct fan-cleaning and thermal paste application as needed.
* I'll be trying Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (in lieu of AC5) to see how well the GPU stays cool under stress.

9) Purchase a 3-prong power adapter to ground EMF for prolonged safety (if yours is 2-prong).

References:
A) NVIDIA Quadro 1000M

Driver from NVIDIA siteWindows 10 Driver
7/13/20172/17/2017
NVIDIA Control Panel and slightly newerNo Control Panel

B) Some Win10 UWP (Universal Windows Platform)/modern/metro apps don't open in 'Optimius Mode' (aka switchable graphics) unless graphics acceleration is disabled, or NVIDIA Control Panel is used to assign select apps to use 'Integrated graphics' instead of 'High-performance NVIDIA processor'.
* Mail (Win10)
microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe (Mail and Calendar)
microsoft.accountscontrol_cw5n1h2txyewy (Email and accounts)
* Paint 3D
microsoft.mspaint_8wekyb3dbbwe
* Microsoft Visual Studio Code
Run w/ the --disable-gpu options in Target for to use integrated graphics only, or assign app in NVIDIA Control Panel.

T450 | W520 | Moto G4
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete