Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1600 Posts

05-29-2010

Singapore

2883 Signins

59057 Page Views

• Views: 59057
  • Message 11 of 34

Re: A extremely furious and disappointed W510 owner.

2010-11-04, 16:10 PM

Hi, Chatbox

My W510 machine overheat when I use it for Virtual Machines, Games (even those that are more than 5 years ago, such as Need For Speed Underground 2). My W510 have burnt smell coming out by just normal surfing web, intermittently.

Currently, my W510 right speaker produces popping sound while playing music or any media, it will be the same with headphone. I have tested out with Old, New Lenovo Sound and Windows built-in driver, nothing solve this problem. I suspect that the sound card/amp onboard is faulty.

Anyway, I found out around 10 problems in the Conexant SmartAudio Software itself (latest version), this is a joke, even the loaner set T400 Conexant drivers was so much better.

This is the most high-end machine that I bought, my 1st time getting ThinkPad and the worst computer I've owned. 

At first, I would buy ThinkPad because I believe that the IBM quality will still be there such as Durability and Reliability, as my school have been using it for more than 5 years and what I like the most is the keyboard itself. But, unexpectedly it's not the case :'(

Currently, I am now getting my way through to get another model of ThinkPad from them because it has too much problems,  it have been escalated IBM Level 2 Engineer + Supervisor, Lenovo R&D and Lenovo Care + Manager.

Personally, I think Lenovo should make a recall of this ThinkPad W510 series, because it is simply too problematic, I have met more than 10 different problems in this machine. :X

Options

52 Posts

03-29-2010

Berlin, Germany

151 Signins

999 Page Views

• Views: 999
  • Message 12 of 34

2010-11-04, 21:08 PM

I myself have experienced or am still experiencing many of the problems you mention.

I don't want to take your hope but I think there're some things Lenovo won't or can't do anything about and you should get used to, such as:

• The buzzing noise - actually there're two of them, one of which originates from the CPU whereas the other one, as you noticed, must have something to do with the power supply because it starts immediately when removing the AC cable and stops immediately when inserting it again. (+ Interestingly, it also stops/starts immediately when playing/pausing music, even when your speakers are muted). Remove the keyboard and you'll see that the source for the first whining sound must be somewhere about the DIMMs while the latter comes from the lower left corner and is originally definitely something mechanical.
  • The heating, to some degree. This machine features a quad-core processor and a separate GPU both of which are largely responsible for the ThinkPad running that hot. I enabled throttling in AC mode in the BIOS again because otherwise I simply can't use it on my lap. I remember times when I wasn't even able to touch the device. Nevertheless, my machine / CPU has never turned itself off due to overheating so I guess your problems must be even more severe.
  • The keyboard flex in the lower right corner. I know it shouldn't be like that but you better get used to it. Apart from that the keyboard's quality also depends on the manufacturer (ALPS, NMB, Chicony). My keyboard was exchanged due to issues with the TrackPoint, once, and apparently for the better (in terms of responsiveness et cetera, the TrackPoint issues still exist!). Seems I have ALPS, now. :)
  • Ok, the sound issues aren't discussable. I've had my speakers exchanged two times now because they made scratching noises at mid to high volumes. Have you ever seen them? They're so cheap that you think they must be from a child's construction set. I wonder when they will break again...
  • I don't even want to get started on the WWAN bug (apparently fixed, now! :)), the USB port issues and all the other small things (cracking hinges for example) that decrease the value of this expensive business(!) laptop.
Options

492 Posts

05-29-2010

Argentina

1502 Signins

6144 Page Views

• Views: 6144
  • Message 13 of 34

2010-11-04, 23:37 PM
@PeterTWJ, what's your W510 version number?

1600 Posts

05-29-2010

Singapore

2883 Signins

59057 Page Views

• Message 14 of 34

2010-11-06, 10:32 AM

Hi, codethief

To me, it's a bit ridiculous to get such an expensive workstation to get used to it and having more downtime and less productivity.
-1. I understand the buzzing comes partly from Intel hardware and it is designed to be like this due to a lot of steppings for Intel Core i7. Previous non Intel Core-i series ThinkPad also have this issue, but was solved by an BIOS update.

-2. Ok, but I did not found any information regarding overheating for HP Elitebook 8540w or Dell Precision M4500 Mobile Workstation. The same class as ThinkPad W510. A 15'inch mobile workstation with same range of processors and graphic card. Workstation is designed to run demanding application and to have better performance and reliability. If it gets heat up, it will throttle and it is not possible to fully utilized the power of W510. If the machine is powerful, but not possible to use all the power due to overheating or other issue, must as well i get a lower end machine. I also did not find W701 or other manufacturer higher end machine to have overheating issues.

-4. Yes, I have, currently my right speakers are having scratching sound, badly. My headphone will have it too, but not as bad as the speaker cracking sound. Most likely the sound card starts to have problems. By the way, the Conexant HD 20585 latest driver is still condemned as the SmartAudio Multi-Stream mode and the EQ does not work the way it is. The T400 Conexant HD 20561 sound card and driver is much better and the sound system was much better.

Hi, pepemosca

My W510 info. Product: W510 4876-A11, Serial: R854GKA. BIOS Version 1.32 (6NET72WW), All updates applied from Windows Update and Lenovo System Update. No 3rd Party Driver, Lenovo Preloaded Win 7 64-bit through special request.

Thanks for posting messages on my post :D 

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2010

St. Louis

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 15 of 34

2010-11-18, 4:26 AM

Like you, I am astounded by the lack of support and quality of this machine. 

I purchased the W510 10 days ago to replace my T61 which died a slow and painful death.

A week after receiving the new computer it too crashed.  Four hours on the phone with Lenovo got me nowhere.

I took the machine to a local lenovo warranty firm and agreed to pay the labor to fix it out of my own pocket!  Two days later I learn the system board, the fan and the processor are shot. 

The processor is on backorder and god only knows when it will arrive. 

As I am a self-employed IT professional -- I need a computer.  No computer, no work.  --- I am trying to get by on a Pentium 1 with 500 meg ram.  I have no outlook email, no application and none of my files and have pretty much been this way since my T61 died.

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2010

Canada

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 16 of 34

2010-11-18, 21:12 PM
Hate to say it but... it is why I started to like my co-worker's MAC Book Pro after using the W510.... Sorry for being off topic.

Another unhappy W510 user
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 17 of 34

2010-11-20, 23:12 PM

I hope not to sound favouring one side or the other on this story, rather I hope any reasonable reader would agree for it to be fair.

But this case is a classic example of why such forums don't reflect the true nature of a product. Since customers with faults and problems are the ones that make up in fact 9 out of 10 visitors to the forum. Obviously just as with any other manufactured product out there in the market due to the nature of how a product is assembled there always will be a number of products which end-up faulty and still get pass through final Q-control. So to be sincerely realistic for each 1 customer which reports to be furious and disappointed about his product, there definitely are tens of hundreds out there which are absolutely happy with their product and might not even heard of the Lenovo Forum! And of which of course we will never get to hear about in here.

I can certainly imagine how painful it must be for one to see himself spending a $2000 fortune in not only a product but also pricey service/warranty pack and end-up realizing that out of all the bad luck in the world he has ended up to have the 'black sheep' that wrongfully got passed Q-control.

But what I'm always interested to read, are posts of customers who do come back and tell us about the end to their story. It is today 2 weeks since we haven't heard about Peter, and I am positively certain that it has been also for a good reason.

What I have always found so very different about IBM/Lenovo compared to any other brand out there, is the fact that they might not be 100% perfect in all teams, divisions and countries. But yet no matter where and what you've got, they do care to solve their customers problems if you make yourself heard. And I say this cause I simply see how friendly Mark, Erin and all others involved in this case have showed to have done their best and helped out Peter here. So good luck Peter and enjoy finally your Lenovo! ;)

Options

1600 Posts

05-29-2010

Singapore

2883 Signins

59057 Page Views

• Message 18 of 34

2010-11-21, 9:31 AM

Hi, Dutchie

Currently, I am waiting for the Lenovo's management approval of changing to W701 with top-up, hopefully it doesn't disappoint me. I am not a person with unreasonable expection of a product, so far I am very happy with Compaq Presario V3000 and Dell Studio 15 as they work and perform to what it suppose to be. I would accept if I am the only one who have lots of problem, but there are a lot of W510 users having same problem and Lenovo not doing anything.

I really enjoy using W510 for the 1st 2 months, except sound issues. For now, more weird intermittent problems appeared and I am really dying with it, because of sound and overheating issues. I believe that there are major problems with the Q-Control as they can released drivers that is very buggy/problematic and require users complain to fix it. From my research of those IT products, the price of Lenovo/IBM computers, parts or services is more expensive than Dell, HP and other manufacturers, so I thought I was really paying that extra money for durability and reliability. I was being laughed at for buying such an expensive junk.

By the way, as a student learning IT, I have learnt a lot from this experience and roughly know how a IT company structure operates, which may be helpful in my future career, which is blessing in disguise.

Anyway, thank you for your blessing and understanding.

Best Regards
Peter

Options

11 Posts

11-20-2010

United States of America

37 Signins

230 Page Views

• Views: 230
  • Message 19 of 34

2010-11-22, 15:35 PM

PeterWTG -- is Lenovo replacing your w510 w/ a w710 at no additional cost?  That laptop is about $1K more so I would be impressed/surprised if they did that.  My whining noise, even when plugged in, is so aggrevating.

Options

1600 Posts

05-29-2010

Singapore

2883 Signins

59057 Page Views

• Message 20 of 34

2010-11-23, 2:17 AM

No. Then, I am willing to pay for half of the additional cost and Lenovo absorb half of the additional cost, 50/50. But, with such case, they can't fix the W510 and the management refused to replace W510 to W701 even me paying half of the additional cost. Which is even more disappointing, they wish to close the case asap, I would wish to close it asap too, but unfortunately they did it in an poor manner in order to close the case and have already taken so much of my time. I have my CPU replaced by Lenovo for whining issue, it is less aggrevating after CPU replacement.

Best Regards
Peter

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms