01-27-2021

Aland Islands

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

A few questions about the P51?

2021-01-27, 19:07 PM

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the P51 for my degree in Computer Science, but I have a few questions regarding this laptop.

Please answer where possible.

The specs I can get are:

7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ

15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare IPS

NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 RAM

256GB NVMe SSD + 500GB HDD

1. How long does it typically take to charge this laptop?

2. How long does the battery last on a single charge with low-, medium- and high-usage?

3. How loud is the fan-noises during moderate use (programming, web-dev etc.)?

4. Is this device too outdated, and should I rather settle for something more recent? (my other choice being the T480s i5 with Intel UHD 620)

5. Any recommendations for laptops within the same price range (or cheaper), with close to the same performance, 8 hours of battery life, good cooling & silent fans?

Thanks in advance!

usps tracking showbox speed test
Options

575 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

44 Signins

2941 Page Views

• Views: 2941
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:A few questions about the P51?

2021-01-28, 14:01 PM

Hello mandilint85,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Thank you for your interest in Lenovo products

For ThinkPad P51, the usual duration to charge the computer takes about 4-8 hours.

Based on most reviews online, the machine possesses excellent battery life, lasting for 8 hours with average usage.

I suggest you check the user guide

And the P51 data sheet

For similar ThinkPad P series which you might be interested as well, kindly check this link.

Hope this helps

Regards, 

Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

310 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

594 Signins

4154 Page Views

• Views: 4154
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:A few questions about the P51?

2021-01-28, 20:59 PM

@ mandilint85 wrote:

Hi, I' thinking of getting the P51 for my degree in Computer Science, but I have a few questions regarding this laptop.

Please answer where possible.

The specs I can get are:

7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ

15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare IPS

NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 RAM

256GB NVMe SSD + 500GB HDD

1. How long does it typically take to charge this laptop?

If feels pretty quick, although it is a large 90Wh battery, then again purchasing a used P51 the battery health is unknown. For some reason there are "genuine" and cheap batteries for P51 on eBay around 30 USD. I had to pay double for a good copy battery for my T430s. U used T61, T400, T420, T430 and T530 before P50/P51 and P51 has better battery life in general. (Although I had 3940XM CPU on T530). I men the only reason T480s will be able to squeeze out more battery life is by performing worse.

How long does the battery last on a single charge with low-, medium- and high-usage?

Current screenshot from the machine I am typing on now:

You will be able to use it for 4+ hrs or so with a fresh battery. If you push it very hard maybe 3 hrs. You might consider battery thresholds not to charge it to 100% every time.

1. How loud is the fan-noises during moderate use (programming, web-dev etc.)?

P50/P51 has moderate and non intrusive fan noise compared to many newer 6 core + laptops with inadequate cooling.

1. Is this device too outdated, and should I rather settle for something more recent? (my other choice being the T480s i5 with Intel UHD 620)

Having compared P50 directly with T480 i5, there is no contest. P51 will be more roboust performer. With Two NVMe and one SATA SSD slots you can really carry a lot of VM data with you and easily reach 64GB RAM with 4 DIMM slots. However, the T480s will be much lighter.

According to notebookcheck T480s battery life is 9 hrs and P51 with Xeon and 4k screen will manage around 7 hours. 

1. Any recommendations for laptops within the same price range (or cheaper), with close to the same performance, 8 hours of battery life, good cooling & silent fans?

The P51 is the best compromize in my opinon, (having 4xP51 so maybe biased). It is very upgradable, will perform well on both CPU and GPU on battery if you need.

In comparison I have a 6 core, 4k, RTX3000 P53. Battery life is half of P51 and fan is loud when plugged in. The P53 requires 170W+ charger, with P51 you can use a 135W slim charger that was sold with P1 or X1E computers. 

A T480s is for excel and it will struggle under load compared to P51. It will not reach the same sustained turbo frequencies..

Thing is the P51 has heft, make sure you plan to get a comfortable briefcase or something accommodating. You may need to repaste the CPU due to age and use XTU to overclock and undervolt the P51 to avoid thermal throttling and  provide great speed. Linux should not be a problem on P51, even P53, ububtu 20 installed fine. I personally rather run Linux in Hyper-V to retain maximum enjoyment from the P51.

There are faster machines out there, but more cores and speed comes at a cost, noise, heavy charger, more throttling. You can consider P52 models? For P15 etc, the i5 model with have a quad core as well that probably wll work without to much throttling. But it is also more expensive. If you dont value the expandebility of the P51 range you could look at some recent AMD powered budget thinkpads that might give similar performance/dollar.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms